Chapter 65

"Sorry to call you down here but I didn't feel comfortable discussing this over the phone," Bruce said to Adriana. 

He had texted her requesting that she come to his office as early as she could in the morning.

"Well...eight in the morning it pretty early but I don't mind," Adriana said, playing it casual, not letting on that she knew that he had been threatened by Shade.

"Do you know what this is about," he asked after waiting a few moments.

"I can...kind of see what happened," Adriana said and sat in a chair in front of his desk. He walked around and leaned against the desk, crossing both arms, and looking at her with a very serious look in his eyes.

"I need you to help me," he said. "To find out who this woman is. I can't have someone knowing my identity and threatening to expose me."

"Well...if I'm seeing it correctly...she said she would expose you if you don't stay away from her?" Adriana said. "She might be telling the truth."

"Adriana," he said. "You're suggesting I just...do what she says? This woman is a threat. I cannot just take her word for it. Not with what's at stake."

She could see how stressed he was. If she revealed who he was, he would without question, be imprisoned for the murder of Harvey Dent. He would be exposed. He would be Bruce Wayne, the murderer. The criminal. The Joker would run free. It would be a disaster.

"I know but...so far she hasn't exposed you," Adriana said.

"So far?" Bruce asked angrily.

"I mean I'm assuming she didn't just find out who you were last night?" Adriana said, sounding like she was guessing. "If she's known for a while and hasn't told anyone, it's likely she's not a threat."

Bruce started shaking his head.

"We don't know who she's told or who she's telling at this very moment," he said.

He took a breath.

"I need your help here," he said. "I know the types of situations in the city she handles, and I know where she will be. You just have to come along with me the next time."

"Bruce that doesn't sound safe.." Adriana said. "I don't think I should be out there when you're fighting crime and all-"

"I will keep you safe, you know that," Bruce said sternly. "I won't be fighting. I will be looking for her."

"I know..." she said

"You just need to be there," he said. "Close by to read her mind and find out who she is."

"Oh Bruce..." Adriana said. "I...I don't know...it doesn't sound like a good idea. I don't know. I think you have more integrity than this-"

"It sounds like..." he said with a bit of disbelief. "It sounds like you don't want to help me."

"It's not that, Bruce. It just doesn't seem like the right thing to do-" she said.

"The right thing to do?" he said, his voice now raised. "But you think it's right for her to threaten me? You think that was the right thing to do? I cannot have this anonymous person knowing who I-"

"I don't know if we should invade someone's privacy," Adriana said.

"Like she's invaded mine?!" he was now yelling. "I don't understand why you will not assist me. You did this type of thing for the police for years. You have been in the presence of criminals and exposed their secrets for the greater good, but you can't do this for me?"