Chapter 181

"Did you have fun last night?" Adriana asked Bruce over the phone. He had gone into work extremely early.

"Most fun I've had in a long time," he replied with a smile.  

"Hope I didn't keep you up too late," she said.

"Nights like last night are what triple espressos are made for," he told her. "Where are you?"

"I'm on my way back home," she said. "A group tried to break into the bank downtown, via an underground tunnel they've been digging for days."

"You're kidding," he said.

"Oh yes," Adriana said. "Needless to say they weren't successful."

"Gotham has Shade," he said,

"Mhm," she said.

"Speaking of banks," he went one. "You're sure you don't want any details about our situation-"

"Bruce.." Adriana said. "I told you, I don't care about the money. I meant that."

"Okay," Bruce said. "I love you."

"I love you more," she said.

"Impossible," he said seriously.

"Totally possible," she laughed. "I'll let you get back to work."

"Alright," Bruce said. "I'll see you tonight."

Bruce ended his call and finally began to feel the caffeine waking him up. He left his office and went to Lucius'. Lucius was just arriving, and Lucius' secretary offered Bruce another coffee, which he accepted gratefully.

"We have a lot to accomplish today," Lucius said to Bruce. "Sharing ownership of Wayne Enterprises changes a lot."

"Well, mostly in the HR department so far," Bruce agreed. The new partners would undoubtedly be bringing people in.

"How are you this morning?" Lucius asked Bruce before sitting down at his desk.

"Wonderful, and yourself?" Bruce asked.

"Good," Lucius responded. "I'm glad to hear you're doing well."

"Thank you," Bruce said. 

Bruce and Lucius went quiet for a few moments before Bruce spoke again.

"I would like to give you an apology," Bruce said.

Lucius moved his fingers away from his keyboard and interlaced them on his desk, waiting.

"I've been..." Bruce began, searching for a word to describe his behavior.

"Petulant?" Lucius guessed.

Bruce accepted the word. "I apologize for that."

"I appreciate your sincerity," Lucius remarked. 

"I'm glad," Bruce said. "I was very concerned about my wife and what happened. I suppose it...got the best of me, and resulted in me acting out or character."

"And...now?" Lucius asked. "You concerns have been resolved?"

"In a manner of speaking," Bruce said. "I don't need to concern myself with the Joker. He will be dead soon."

Lucius raised his eyebrows.

"You remember Adriana's friend Sidi?' Bruce asked, seeing Lucius had questions. "And what she does for a living?"

"Yes," Lucius told Bruce.

"She has informed me that the Joker will die," Bruce said. "It will happen any day now."