Chapter 45

"Thank you," Adriana said to Bruce after several minutes of riding in his car in silence.

"For what?" Bruce asked and reached for her hand while keeping his eyes on the road.

"For defending me," Adriana said.

"So you know," Bruce nodded. "What he said. Of course."

She had read his mind. She knew every word he and Damien had exchanged in the restroom.

"You weren't going to mention it to me," Adriana assumed.

"No," Bruce said. "If it were up to me, you would never know that it happened."

"Thanks for that too, I guess," she replied. "Let's talk about something else."

"Sure," Bruce agreed. "Anything."

"The Joker and his men," Adriana said. "What were they doing at that church?"

"I'm sure you could pull that information from my thoughts," Bruce smiled.

"I'd rather talk," Adriana responded with a small smile. 

She knew even more about what had happened there than he did but she needed a distraction to take her mind off of Damien and his stupidity.

"Well," Bruce took a deep breath. "He was paying another team of his men. My best guess is that it was for an assassination. Large scale operation. Though that may have changed after what happened at the church. There was a photograph there of senator Askel Wagner."

"So, what will you do?" Adriana asked. 

In the chaos she had not been able to gather too many thoughts on the plan they had for Wagner, but she knew for a fact they would be paying him a visit at a luncheon the following day. At least that was the original plan. She hoped it hadn't changed.

"Have to keep an eye on him and the situation," Bruce said. "But I'll be heading to Geneva tonight for some business, so unfortunately I won't be able to oversee the situation as closely as I'd like," he explained. "I'll be away for 48 hours max, but a lot can happen in that time."

"Maybe Shade can take care of it if anything happens," Adriana said.

"You like her a lot," Bruce laughed. "You should get one of those tee-shirts that people are wearing."

"She's cool," Adriana said. "I like her outfit."

"Many people think that. She is 'cool'," Bruce smiled. "I can't say that I think she's the best example for anyone to look up to. We don't even know if she's entirely benevolent."

"Come on," Adriana laughed. "Look at what she's done. I think she's definitely a good guy."

"I'm not too sure yet," Bruce said. "We'll see. She could just be building rapport. We don't know who she's working for or why she has appeared all of a sudden. She's everywhere. All the time. On the news every few hours."

"You're saying she's helping too many people?" Adriana questioned.

"Perhaps but," Bruce said. "I just don't understand where she's come from. Appeared out of nowhere. If the Joker was still behind bars, I would be investigating her more closely. I'm suspicious of her."

"I think it's because you've been the sole vigilante in this town for a long time," she said. "And now there's someone else."

"She could end up being a problem," he said. "An interference."

"I think you like her," Adriana teased. "She saved you."

"Hard to like someone you don't know," Bruce insisted.