Chapter 160

"You certainly were not exaggerating," Alfred said Adriana after seeing Bruce's silver streak in his hair.

"I told you," she said and sat in front of her plate of waffles. "He must be insanely stressed about this whole thing with these...fucking depraved people trying to expose him."

"Has he spoken to you about the matter?" Alfred asked.

"Barely.." Adriana said and put a spoonful of whipped cream onto her plate. "I asked him about it and he's acting like it's nothing..like he doesn't care much about it. It's as if he's just accepted that sooner or later someone at the police precinct is going to acquire and reveal that video of what he did to Dent. And then what? The city will hate him. And then they might reveal his name...he would get life in prison...or maybe they would go easy on him and give him 30 years-"

"Perhaps he has a plan," Alfred said. "And that is why his concern appears minimal."

"But why couldn't he tell me about a plan if he had one?" Adriana asked Alfred. "I mean this is all clearly bothering him a lot."

"It could be risky, and he wouldn't want you to worry," Alfred told her.

"Wait.." Adriana said. "Do you know something? Did he tell you what this is about?"

"I assure you I know nothing," Alfred told her truthfully.

"Okay..." Adriana said, believing him. "I just don't want him to feel like he's in this alone now just because I don't have my gift anymore. I still want to help him however I can. But maybe you're right..I mean why would he just call me out of the blue and call off our search with my gift? He was so incredibly intent on me working hard to scan every employee's memories and some of the long-term hotel residents too..and then all of a sudden, bam, he calls Sidi."

"The timing is strange, I will admit," Alfred offered. "But perhaps we should allow him his space to continue whatever he is working on."

Adriana nodded quietly. Truthfully, she didn't believe that Bruce had some grand plan to stop the harassment and threats against him, but she had to accept his words. 

.

.

.

"I can't stay long," Adriana said to the Joker as she sat his breakfast in front of him. "Dr. Kapoor is already here and he'll be in to see you soon."

The Joker nodded and took the plate. 

"Okay.." she said and began to leave, not sure why he was quiet. "So..enjoy your day."

Before she could go out the door, he squinted at her for a moment before picking up his fork.

"What?" she asked him as he touched his jaw before beginning to eat. "Is one of your teeth hurting?"

"No," he answered and looked into her eyes again.

Something was different. She felt like she was looking into his eyes for the first time..but at the same time she felt she knew him inside and out. It was such a peculiar feeling, and she couldn't place how and why, but she felt...fresh. New. Like her life was just beginning and he was supposed to be a part of it. And looking at him...he felt right. She looked away.

"Then what's wrong?" she asked.

"Oh...apparently," he said. "Nothing at all."

"What? Speak English," she told him, feeling that this was a riddle of some kind.

He sighed and put down his fork. "You seem just fine with me knowing everything. I didn't expect that. This isn't a bad thing," he said. "Just peculiar, especially regarding your husband, Bruce Wayne."