Chapter 52

"So, you found a way to get him to give you a grapple gun," Lucius said to Adriana.

"Yes," Adriana smiled. "I've used it over a dozen times so far. I love it."

"Only a dozen?" Lucius asked. "You're on the news every half hour. Are you sure you aren't wearing yourself too thin? The job of Gotham's entire police force is a bit much for one person. You're putting them out of work."

"I'm fine with it," she said. "I love what I'm doing. I'm not wearing myself thin."

"Are you entirely sure about that? You look a bit tired," he said.

"I'm totally sure," she said. "The grapple gun is really helping me a lot. Great job designing it by the way. I love how compact it is."

"Thank you," Lucius said as his secretary knocked at the door.

Adriana looked at the door as it opened.

"Come in," Lucius said and she walked over handing him a file.

"The statements you asked for this morning," the woman said pleasantly.

"Thank you very much," Lucius said and put on his glasses. "Would you mind giving us about twenty minutes, take messages for all calls."

"Of course," she said before leaving. "You won't be disturbed."

"So..." Adriana said after the secretary was gone. "Am I... in trouble or something?"

"I'm not supervising or commanding you. Why would you be in trouble with me?" he asked.

"Maybe because...Bruce asked me..well Shade..to help him with the Joker," she said. "To find him. And I kinda agreed to..after I swore to you I would stay away from him. I thought he might have mentioned it to you."

"I cannot control you, Adriana," Lucius said. "I would just hate to see you hurt."

"Yeah but..." Adriana said. "I mean, maybe I could handle it on my own. If the Batman admits he needs Shade's help to finally get the Joker then...maybe-"

"Well dear," Lucius said, his tone very fatherly as he took off his glasses. "No one can stop you from going after him. I am concerned about your safety. You are doing great work in the city. There's no need to do any more than what you are already doing. You can focus on-."

"Everything but the Joker?" she asked.

"Yes," Lucius told her.

Lucius took a breath.

"The Joker may surprise you," Lucius said. "Despite your mind reading abilities. Which is something I don't want to happen. If Bruce is willing to partner up I think you should take the opportunity. I would prefer you stay away from the Joker altogether, but if the only options are to work with Bruce or go it alone..."

He was shaking his head.

"There's no reason to keep your identity hidden from him at this point as Shade. Going after the Joker alone...and keeping the fact that you are Shade hidden from Bruce...I simply don't see it ending well, Adriana."

"Don't tell him," Adriana said. "Please. Just let me...think about it. I need to think about telling him the truth and teaming up with him to take the Joker down. I just need time. Please?"

"Time..." Lucius said.

"Please?" she asked.

Lucius nodded once.

.

.

.

"This was meant to last for over a month," Madame Twyla said to Adriana as she held the empty glass. "Minimum. And now you need more in less than a week."