Chapter 199

"Where is he?" Bruce demanded of Dr. Kapoor.

"Good evening, Bruce," Dr. Kapoor said. Adriana had prepared him for this. "Please sit-"

"I don't need to sit," Bruce said. "I know that you, Adriana and Lucius extracted him. The Joker. You removed him from where I had him held and I need to know where you took him and where he is now."

The doctor thought of Adriana's words earlier. He was told not to lie to Bruce but to maintain patient-physician privilege. All of the Joker's medical records had been removed from the facility as the doctor had promised and it seemed to have happened in the nick of time. Dr. Kapoor had printed paper versions of everything and made sure that nothing was left on a device that could be hacked.

"What happened? Is he dead?" Bruce asked.  

"I did what Adriana requested," the doctor said. "She wanted my assistance. We brought him here-"

"Here..." Bruce said. "Under my roof."

Bruce remembered the state that the Joker was in. If he had survived, he would have required months of rehabilitation. The man could barely move. Even after the most intensive care, he would likely end up a toothless cripple. 

"How long was he here?" Bruce asked. "When was he here? When was he removed? Where is he now?"

The doctor couldn't answer the questions about his patient. He wouldn't violate the privacy.

"Here.." Bruce said again. "Which means Adriana was coming to see him? Was she?"

"Yes," the doctor said. "She assisted in his treatment."

Bruce felt betrayed beyond all reason, and worst of all, he felt the side effect of the bottles of potion he drank. Impulse.

"Tell me where he is now," Bruce said. 

"I cannot do that," Dr. Kapoor said to Bruce.

"Doctor-" Bruce said firmly, his tone angry and threatening. But the doctor did not look afraid.

"I am not at liberty to share another patient's whereabouts-" the doctor said.

"Leave," Bruce said. "And don't come back. "

Dr. Kapoor had anticipated this. He nodded. 

"Immediately," Bruce said. "Leave all the records. Leave this building now."

Dr. Kapoor understood he was being fired. He picked up his jacket and left. Once Bruce heard the Dr. Kapoor was gone, he raided the computer and files in his desk. He saw Adriana's files, his file's, Arsenio's. They were there but...nothing about another patient at all. He then raided the rest of the medical facility looking for any clue, any indication of where to go.

Bruce would turn the place upside down if he had to.

While tearing through a closet in the rec room he found something. A stack of papers...paintings. Dark and brooding artwork that was unsigned and not dated.  It was the Joker's artwork. It solidified the truth and made it real. The Joker had been here. Bruce was getting close.

 And then he saw a board in the corner. He turned it around. Bruce was familiar with art. He could spot technique. He could see it was all from the same artist. The technique of this painting was the same as the rest, but the subject was very different. A painting of Arsenio.

.

.

.

Adriana tossed her jacket onto a chair when she got home from the Joker's short-term apartment. The penthouse was extremely quiet and felt empty. She sat on the couch, catching her breath when she heard it. The Joker's voice.