Chapter 11

"You're good to go, if you feel like you can walk," the ER doctor told Adriana after explaining to her that her scans were all clear. He handed her a sheet of paper telling her after-care steps for her bruise. She lifted the small ice pack off of her hip and stood slowly.

"I feel great," she said but couldn't help sounding a bit annoyed because she had been texting Damien and had received no response.

After signing her discharge papers, she walked out to the front doors of the hospital. It was a dark and quiet, a calm night compared to the events that happened a few hours earlier. Adriana started to walk and opened the Uber app on her phone. 

Before she could request the ride, she noticed a car pulling up beside her in the corner of her eye. She turned and looked for a second at the black Lamborghini Murcielago. The driver's side window came down slowly.

"Bruce," Adriana exhaled. "You scared me, driving up like that. I almost grabbed my pepper spray."

"I wasn't entirely sure it was you," he replied and stepped out of the car while it was still running. "I apologize."

"Oh, it's okay," Adriana said.

"Are you alright?" he asked with genuine concern.

"Perfectly fine," she said with relief. "Thanks for asking, and for coming. I appreciate it."

"Of course," he said. He was wearing a very casual outfit. A black polo shirt with the top button undone and black slacks with black leather oxfords. "If you don't mind me asking, where are you walking to?"

He had noticed she appeared to be walking towards the street and not into the hospital's parking lot.

"Oh," she answered, looking back down at her phone. "I was just about to get an Uber home."

"Nonsense," he said immediately. "Let me drive you."

"That would be great," she responded without hesitation. "Thanks."

He was already walking around to the passenger side of the car and opening the door for her. She walked around and stepped into the car and was surprised how spacious the inside felt, considering how it looked externally. Bruce shut the door and made his way around the front of the car and to the driver's side. She fastened the seat belt and leaned back as much as she could to prevent the belt from digging into her sore hip.

"I live by Brentwood," she said once he was in the car. "I could give you the address-"

"I know where you live," he said with a polite smile and pulled off.

"Your car smells very new," she commented after they drove for a minute.

"It is," he said stopping a red light. "Totaled my last one, had to get a replacement. I have other cars, but this model is my favorite."

"It's very nice," she said and lifted the seat belt with her index finger to create a small space where her hip bruise was.

"You could take off the seat belt if it's bothering you," he said and started driving again after the light went green.

"Oh..." she said with uncertainty.

"I'm a very careful driver," he assured her. "I'm aware I just told you that I totaled my last one of these cars, but that was intentional."

"Really?" she laughed and immediately saw the memory without trying very hard. She saw him speeding to intercept a driver who was attempting an assassination. "That was brave...and risky. Saving him."

He glanced at her and smiled. Impressed with her abilities.

"You know everything," he remarked.

"Well, I can find out a little with some effort, but I don't know everything," she said and unfastened the seat belt and then his thoughts came in even clearer after she concentrated on them for a brief moment. He wanted to ask her what happened but felt it was inappropriate at this moment, to ask so soon. He did not want to bombard her as soon as she got into the car. However, he still felt it was necessary. He was debating with himself in his mind about if and how he should begin talking about it with her.