Chapter 107

"That's a nice picture," Adriana said to Bruce as she rested her head on his chest and they looked at photos from their wedding and reception. 

On his phone's screen was a picture the wedding photographer had just sent to him, of Bruce and Alfred standing together and smiling.

"It is," Bruce said. "Alfred never thought he'd see the day that I'd actually get married."

"Well, it's happened," she smiled and gave him a kiss before resting on his chest again.

"This one's nice too," Bruce said. There was a photo of Adriana and Lucius dancing together at the reception.

"Awww, I love it," Adriana said. "Hmm..that reminds me, I need to get my suit from Lucius to see if it still fits the same."

"What suit?" Bruce asked.

She lifted her head and looked him in the eyes.

"Oh..." Bruce said, understanding. "Wait...what? Lucius knew? All this time?"

"Yes," Adriana said. "He's the one who made my suit for me."

"This is absurd," Bruce said. "You two have been in cahoots!"

"Bruce...don't be mad at him," she said. "I asked him to keep it from you. I told him that I would tell you eventually..."

"And you did, once you were blackmailed," he said. 

"I'm sorry..." she apologized. She could tell Bruce loved her and didn't want to be angry. But she was revealing more secrets. All she could do was apologize again and again.

"Did he know you were working for the Joker?" Bruce asked. "Did Lucius know?"

"No," she said. "I never told him."

She could tell Bruce had more questions.

"Look...the Joker..." Adriana said. "He knew that I was Shade. He forced me to work for him and threatened to kill kids if I didn't."

Bruce blinked a few times.

"You continued your vigilantism." Bruce sounded more confused. "After he forced you to work for him."

"He didn't care," Adriana said. "The Joker didn't care. As long as I didn't interfere with what he was doing and as long as I did my job. The buys and operations where we would burglarize labs...I had to do that. But the girl who was kidnapped...I couldn't let her die. I had to go and help her. I let her go. He didn't care about me being Shade, as long as I stayed away from you."

"That's likely why he didn't want you dead," Bruce said. "Vengeance. You let that child go. He wanted to kill you himself."

"Yeah...yeah I guess," Adriana shrugged.

"Pffff..." Bruce blew out a lot of air and rubbed his forehead. "It's alright. At least I know now...and we have no more secrets."

"Right..." Adriana said. "No more secrets."

"We have to head out soon," Bruce said and kissed her forehead.

"Really?" she yawned. "It's five in the morning."

"I know," he said. "But I had my lawyer get in touch with Mr. Ricard."

"You did?" she asked. "When?"

"While you were sleeping," he said. 

"Oh..." she said. "So why do we have to leave so early?"

"My lawyer's arranged a meeting," Bruce said. "I told him we wanted this done as soon as possible. Mr. Ricard agreed. We'll get him to sign the contract and pay him."