Chapter 47

"Hello?" Adriana answered Bruce's phone call.

"Hello, beautiful," Bruce said to Adriana over the phone.

"Hi, Bruce," Adriana said and flopped onto her bed.

"You sound tired,'" Bruce said to her.

"I really am," she said. "But I'm so happy to hear from you. How is Geneva?"

"It's beautiful," Bruce said. "Lot of snow. Beautiful fireplace. Wish you could have been here with me."

"Me too," Adriana said.

"I'll be seeing you soon hopefully," Bruce replied. "I may be leaving here a bit early."

"Really?" Adriana asked. "I thought you had meetings."

"I do but there may be someone here than can take over for me," Bruce explained. "I'm concerned with a situation in the city. Might need to be back sooner than I thought."

"What situation?" she asked.

"The Senator," Bruce said.

"Oh..I heard on the news that he's okay," Adriana said.

"So did I. A team sent to surveil him lost track of him for over twenty minutes," he said.

"Wow..." Adriana said, trying to sound surprised. "What does that mean? I mean...he ended up at the hospital?"

"Yes," Bruce said. "It was a close call."

"So you'll come back early to protect the senator?" she asked.

"To protect the city," he said.

"What about Shade?" she asked.

"Shade?" Bruce asked.

"Maybe she can protect the city," Adriana said. 

"I heard on the news about Shade saving a high school student being held for ransom earlier tonight," Bruce said. "She seems to be...decent at what she does. She's no match for the Joker though. The senator will need more protection than she or even a security team can provide. I refuse to allow the Joker to have another dead politician on his list of victims."

"Yeah, I heard about that too," she said."So when will you be back?"

"Soon."

.

.

.

"I've adjusted the guest list in their system," Lucius said over the phone. "You will be...a Miss Mary Rainier."

"Okay, got it," Adriana said.

 She planned to put on glasses, brown contacts, and a short grey wig. Also, deep burgundy lipstick and powder makeup two shades too light on her face and neck. She planned to look like a much older woman.

"Good luck," Lucius said. "Perhaps I will see you there."

"You definitely wouldn't recognize me," Adriana said while putting her mask, makeup wipes and black wig into her purse.

.

.

.

"Mr. Fox," Adriana said in a small voice to Lucius when she arrived at the conference.

"Oh, wow," Lucius said after taking a moment to recognize Adriana before using her alias. "Good to see you again, Miss Rainier."

"You too," she said and smiled before walking away.