Chapter 20

The sound of soft humming woke Adriana a few hours later. She groaned and sat up slowly on the couch and reached up to hold her head which was throbbing. Her left foot tingled intensely since it had fallen asleep causing her to groan again.

"Hey sleepyhead," Harri called from the kitchen.

Adriana turned her head slowly and saw Harri standing behind the kitchen island, looking like she was cooking something.

"I'm making risotto," Harri said and walked into the living room.

"Ugh," Adriana heaved, feeling a bit sick.

"Wow," Harri said and looked at her. "You look tired."

"What time is it?" Adriana asked.

"Almost nine," Harri answered. "I got back about two hours ago. Didn't want to wake you."

"Yeah," Adriana rubbed her head and Harri sat next to her. "Thanks. Tired. Had some wine.."

"You've been drinking," Harri asked. "Obviously a lot. I thought you stopped drinking."

"Yeah, I had a few glasses at lunch," Adriana fell back onto the couch. "Regretting it now..Ugh, what happened? You said you didn't want to wake me..so you just found me here on the couch?"

"Yup," Harri said. "You don't remember?"

"I remember eating in a restaurant..and then..I don't know," she shrugged. She hoped she hadn't made a fool of herself in front of Bruce.

Adriana heard her phone vibrating. "Damien."

"Right," Harri said.

"Yes?" Adriana said tiredly as she answered her phone.

"I'm on my way over," Damien said.

"Oh..Damien..it's not a good time," she said.

"Almost there, just a couple blocks away," he said.

"Oh.." Adriana said and rubbed her head again. "Okay...see you soon."

"Is he coming?" Harri whispered so he wouldn't hear her, holding her plated food and Adriana nodded.

"Something wrong?" Adriana asked Damien over the phone.

"You'll tell me," he huffed.

"What?" she asked confused. 

"We'll talk soon," he said quickly and hung up.

"That was weird," Adriana shrugged. "He sounds kind of mad."

"Whatever," Harri replied, not sounding amused. "I'm going to go in the room and eavesdrop. Tell him I'm not here."

"Eavesdrop? That's rude," Adriana said.

"Eavesdropping on a lame fake relationship and telling you about it beforehand isn't rude," Harri said and left the room just as Adriana heard a car pulling up front.

"Fake relationship," Adriana sighed.

"Yeah," Harri dashed to the kitchen and piled risotto onto a plate quickly. "Fake because he's a cheating liar and hopefully he's coming to break up with you. One of you has to end this foolishness."

"I have to get that," Adriana said trying not to sound offended. "He's at the door."

"Yeah," Harri looked at her plate of risotto and went away to the guest room and shut the door.

Adriana made her way to the front door, with no rush and soon heard him knocking. She picked up the note Harri left earlier and read it quickly before sitting it back down and opening the door for him.