Chapter 9

"Freeze!" a guard in black shouted as he entered the room. He was holding a handgun aimed at the Joker's face.

The Joker broke his downward gaze at Adriana and looked forward at the two police officers who entered the room immediately after the guard.

"Hands up!" one of the officers ordered. "Now! On your knees!"

The Joker slowly lifted his hands from the floor and put them both in the air, looking the guard in the eyes. 

"Back away from her, now!" one of officers shouted even louder and the Joker took a few strides back on his knees. Once they were content with his distance, the two officers lunged at him, and the guard began pulling Adriana away from the violence ensuing.

They two officers moved so quickly that they were almost a blur. She saw them slam the Joker down onto the floor and one struck him on his back with a baton, even though he wasn't resisting. The second officer joined in by giving him a kick in the side, a fierce strike to the ribs as the first officer hit him on the back a few more times. As the guard continued pulling her away, she caught a glimpse of the Joker's face. Despite the beating he was getting his face was expressionless and austere. He knew he would get away; he was amused. A few moments later they had him cuffed and pulled him to his feet and were shuffling him out of the room. Her eyes met his for a second, his gaze held no distinct expression as they escorted him away.

Three more guards then entered the room, and one helped her to her feet.

"Take her to medical immediately," the first guard on the scene ordered, and the other two, who were employed by the institution obeyed.

.

.

.

"We need to take a statement," an officer said as he entered the examining room in the infirmary.

"I'm sorry," the institution's night nurse replied. "She's just arrived here, and I need to examine my patient. A statement can wait." She closed the door after the officer stepped out.

"Adriana," Nurse Abigail started with a solemn look on her face. "Are you injured?"

"No, not really," she said as the nurse shined a tiny flashlight into her eyes. "I just fell."

"May I?" she said, indicating Adriana's abdomen. Even though Adriana tried to hide it, the nurse could tell that's where she was hurt.

"Okay," Adriana said and lifted her sweater a bit. "Is it bad?" Adriana asked as the nurse was examining the bruising. It had gone from red to purple.

"Lay on your back," Nurse Abigail said. "Please." She began pressing other areas around the bruising asking if there was pain.

"No," Adriana said. "Just in that spot, where the bone is."

"Were you struck?" the nurse asked.

"No, I-" Adriana started. "I sort of tripped and hit my hip on a desk. Before I fell down."

The nurse nodded. "Looks like that's what could have caused it. It's looking like superficial bruising."

"I'm not lying," Adriana defended herself even though the nurse's tone wasn't accusatory or doubtful. She could hear her thoughts. She thought Adriana was hiding something because of shame.

"Were you assaulted?" the nurse asked.

"No," Adriana said. "Nothing like that happened."

"Are you injured anywhere else?"