Chapter 66

"Is there another restroom?" Adriana asked a guard flirtatiously. She intentionally went to the west side of the building away from the crowded party. "The other ones are all occupied right now, and I really need to use the restroom."

The guard looked around for a moment and then back at her before stepping aside, giving her access to the area that was supposed to be off limits for guests.

"Down this hall, third door after the first left," he said and winked at her.

The mysterious rhythms of the Arabic music playing calmed her. It grew quieter as she got further away from the party.

The mansion was enormous. The home of a multi-millionaire who spared no expense in showing off. It felt like she was in the Palace of Versailles. After making the first left, Adriana went up a staircase, practically running. She wanted to be in and out and get this over with as soon as possible. The faster that she could get this done, the more she would impress the Joker. She could prove that she was more effective at being a thief than an assassin. The office was easy to find for her and she looked at the keypad on the door. The Joker knew they would be precautions like this. It was to be expected.

 Trying to break through the door or entering the wrong code would alert all security.

The Joker saw this entire mission as a joke and merely entertainment. He would find another way to get what he needed, he thought. Once it was over, he intended to kill Farhad and hand Adriana her assignments of people to kill for him.  At the very least she was an effective assassin, or so he thought.

The keypad had a red light on it. She stared at it for a second while she concentrated...Al-Hashimi's mind was somewhere close by within the mansion and she needed to find it. It took a bit of searching but she found the code.

8-8-7-6-0-1-3-4-5-1

She typed in the ten digits as quickly as she could. Once in the dark office she ran over to the computer and plugged in the port Alexander had given her. She also knew that it would take longer for Alexander to hack the computer remotely than for her to just scan Al-Hashimi's thoughts for the password and the exact location of the file they needed.

Within less than two minutes she had the file copied onto the port. She scanned the minds of everyone in the building. Security had been notified that the room was accessed. A guard asked Al-Hashimi about it and he had no idea what was going on.

She knew that Alexander would be confused and would likely tell the Joker that the mission was probably a failure because his access to the computer was broken when she removed the port. She didn't have time to worry about that right now. Security was on their way. 

 Four guards were coming up the stairs. She yanked the port from the computer. The small purse she had contained nothing but the phone, which she pulled out and called the only number in the contacts list as she left the office and ran down the hall.

"They know I'm here," she said.

"Okay," Alexander said nervously. "I'll see what I can do."

Adriana ran down another small hallway. Dead end...She walked a bit more, noticing that she smelled chlorine. She opened a door where the smell seemed to be coming from and was on a small balcony with many seats and a bar. There was a dimly lit indoor pool down below. Behind it was her way out...enormous glass walls, and a door out to the gardens.

Quietly, she shut the door and looked down. The guards were coming and there was no time for her to waste running to and waiting for the elevator that she could see at the end of the balcony, only to run back towards the door. She had to jump.