Chapter 17

"I forgot how uncomfortable these strip fake lashes are," Adriana said after Harri placed them onto one of her eyelids without glue to see how it looked.

"Do you want individual ones instead?" Harri asked. "I got both."

"Yeah," Adriana said. "These are so heavy."

"No problem," Harri replied.

"Is this going to take much longer?" Damien walked into the bedroom where Harri was doing Adriana's hair and makeup.

"We don't have to be there until an hour from now," Adriana said to him. "We're almost done."

"You look nice," Damien said.

"Thanks," Adriana said.

.

.

.

"I know I've said it about eight times already," Damien whispered to Adriana as they entered the gala. "But you look amazing tonight."

"You're sweet," she smiled. "So do you."

The enormous hall where the gala was being held was decorated wonderfully. Six beautiful crystal chandeliers and their reflection on large glass mirrors on the walls grabbed her attention as Damien held her arm and followed a well-dressed member of the staff to their assigned seat.

"This is so nice," Adriana said. "I almost feel out of place."

"You shouldn't," Damien answered. "You should feel right at home."

"Why do you say that?" Adriana laughed.

"Beautiful room..beautiful woman..," he smiled and kissed her cheek.

Adriana gave him a smile.

"Do you feel like being social?" Damien asked and looked around at the rest of the guests who were dancing, talking and gathering in groups to chat and laugh. "There's the mayor..and the governor over there."

"If you want," Adriana said and followed Damien as he comfortably walked up to random groups of people and struck up conversations. Adriana was mostly silent as he engaged. He was a social butterfly.

"Champagne?" a server offered her.

"No, thank you though," Adriana said as Damien reached for a glass.

As Damien began discussing recent events in the city with a judge and his wife, Adriana turned away and noticed Lucius in the room. He was talking with an older couple and smiling brightly.

"Brave enough to approach the governor with me?" Damien asked with a smile.

"Sure," Adriana smiled back. As they walked over, she and Lucius made eye contact and exchanged smiles.

"You know that guy?" Damien asked her.

"No," Adriana said. "Do you?"

"Nope," Damien said. "There's the governor. Mark Wallace."

The governor's back was towards them, and his wife was standing across from him. He was a very tall man and as he stepped to the side, Adriana noticed he was talking with Bruce. Bruce looked amazing in a black three-piece suit. His smile was confident and relaxed and the woman on his arm looked happy to be seen with him. She was almost as tall as he was with long blonde hair that was silky straight and almost to her hips. She wore a silky deep purple gown. It was simple but she made it look amazing.

As Adriana and Damien approached, the governor happened to turn in their direction as he was speaking.

"Hey, I recognize you," the governor said to Damien. "You work for the police force."