Chapter 82

"You're...still here..." Adriana said to the Joker as she woke from sleep, in the middle having a very intense dream about crab legs covered in spices.

"Mhm," he said, and she realized he couldn't move. 

She had fallen asleep with all limbs wrapped around him, including an arm around his head.

"Sorry..." she said and peeled herself off of him.

He sat up quickly and picked up his clothing from the floor. She stretched her arms and lay on her side. She watched him for a few moments thoughtfully before speaking. 

"Have you ever had king crab legs with Cajun spices?" she asked him.

"No," he answered in a disinterested tone while hooking his belt.

"They're so good...with butter...hot butter.." she said and hugged a pillow. It was 4 a.m. "I just had a dream about them...wish I had some now."

He turned his back and picked up his shirt.

"Mhm..." he groaned under his breath, while he buttoned it.

"I was thinking about something else too..." she said and could see he was barely listening and wasn't likely to respond with any curiosity.

She was right. He kept getting dressed and slapped his tie around the back of his neck quickly.

 "The governor," she said.

"Oh," he said, suddenly appearing to be paying attention. "And?"

He raised a brow and half turned towards her. His face was bare. She admired him for a few seconds before speaking again.

"You said..." she paused to yawn. "He bribed the judge overseeing your case...to manipulate your sentencing. You told me that at the masquerade ball."

"Mhm," he said and turned to her fully. "So?"

"Well...I know you believe that's the case but..." she said. "How do you know that's true?"

She had seen his thoughts before. When she still had her gift. He believed that what he was saying was true, but in the moment the details were not something she searched for. There was nothing that she knew of that could confirm what he thought. The night at the masquerade ball, she didn't care enough about what the governor had done to find the finer details. The governor seemed like such a decent man. Everyone loved him, especially his granddaughter, Pavla.  Adriana remembered going to his home with Gordon to examine the minds of his security to make sure they were all loyal. They were. 

"Ahh," he said, as if coming to a realization. "So, you think I am crazy."

"What? I didn't say that...I was just...you know the governor is so...respected...and you know, if there's evidence-" she said. 

"You believe that I am crazy," he said again, interrupting her.

 His voice was even and calm, even though she knew he hated being called crazy.

"No," she said. "I don't think you are crazy at all. I'm just saying, if you have evidence, that's important-"

"Dress yourself," he said to her.

She was comfortably naked in the bed and didn't feel like moving.

"Why?" she asked. "Are we going somewhere?"

.

.

.

"The...city morgue," Adriana said as the Joker broke a lock on the steel back door. She was glad she brought a ski mask to wear in case there were cameras. "Why are we here?"