Regret

Lisa's POV

The weather is nice and sunny over here compared to Paris

The weather is nice and sunny over here compared to Paris. As I fix on my thin facemask, I stroll peacefully down the street in a simple; knee - length white dress and a bouquet of white lilies in my right hand, Mamma's favorite.

Sniffing them, I can feel the corner of my mouth quirks up. It has been a few months already since we last saw one another and I hope this unplanned visit will be able to make up my last visit that I didn't manage to stay long. 

Humming a little, I take a left corner from the main road and hike the steep road a few moments until I reach the old black gates with two little angels arched on top of it and walk myself through it. 

The air inside feels strangely green. As I take a deep breath, I feel some knots in my chest start to loosen. As I keep my eyes on the compound, my feet finally freeze before the the huge white mansion with the the M monogram engraved at the entrance of the mansion. Walking in with a small smile, I place the flowers atop her new home and lowers my figure to run my fingers on her name. 

Ella Manoban

"Hi, Mamma" I start as I let my fingers run longer on her name, as if I'm touching her. I know it has been a few months already but the pain of losing her is still somewhere there within my heart. Still wonderfully fresh and bleeding. 

"I miss you a lot" I say, trying to sound bubbly in case she hears me. I wouldn't want to worry her in her after life, that'd be so crazy of me. 

"No, so much, I mean. Ugh, it's so hard to define how much I miss you, Ma. Because the feeling is really immeasurable. 

"But I'm sure you'll understand. Anyway, the kitty cat Jennie unnie misses you too. She wishes to come with me, Ma. But of course, she has the company to take care of. Jisoo unnie and Bella send their hugs and kisses for you. I hope that makes you happy. 

"How are you? I hope you don't go complaining about not getting a hot brewed tea down there, yeah?

"Or not getting your regular favorite sandwich 

"Or your fresh newspapers 

"God, Ma. Do I sound like a crazy person for remembering all stuff that made you the happiest? I am sure I am. Anyway, I'm sorry for not staying longer before. But don't worry. I am here now. And probably for a few days to come. I'll keep you accompany, Ma. So that you won't have to be alone again.

"I'm doing fine, if that's what you're asking. A little bit worn, but I'm fine. A little bit sad and broken here and there, but I'm still a whole. You don't have to worry about me, Ma. I'll manage. Even though it's hard without you but I'll try.

"Ma, do you remember about that little book you used to read to me when I was little?" I ask, not being able to stop my heart from pouring its content. 

 "About the duckling who was lost and to never return home? I think I'm becoming the duckling, Ma. I've lost my home. And it's not just some random home. It's my home. 

"I don't know if it's my path that is wrong. Or my sense of direction that is suck. But none of them directs me home, Ma. 

"And I'm lost, hoping to be found.

"But I know, that you would guide me to my home, Ma. I know you would. And I trust you. 

A thundering sound catches my attention. Peeking my head outside the mansion, I see how dark the skies have become. 

"Ma, I need to now. But don't you worry. I'll be back tomorrow. I miss you a lot, Ma"

I say as I lean over to kiss the top of her tomb. It feels good, as if I'm kissing her. 

Shutting the door behind, I half jog, half run down the road towards the black Chevrolet waiting in parking space. The windows are heavily tinted, so that no flash camera will be able to penetrate through it as I drive. Cruising along the road, my eyes spot a coffee shop at the corner. The rain starts to gush down when I walk into the coffee shop; clearly half soaked. 

"Welcome" a voice greets from behind the counter. It belongs to a girl in her 20s. I muster a small smile as I walk towards the counter and begin observing the menu. 

"May I have 1 Iced Americano and two bagels please?" I ask the girl politely and she nods. She passes me my food minutes later and I make the payment.

I decide to occupy the small space at the corner inside the café. It's the only place I think would be perfect to stare at the rain. And also, it's the only place I think safe enough to ditch my facemask. 

As I'm enjoying my food, someone abruptly touches my shoulder. 

I turn my head to stare and my jaws fall apart.