Chapter 209: She Admitted Defeat

Kris picked up the red sneaker before he squatted down on the ground to observe it for a few more seconds. Just as he was about to stand up, he suddenly realized that the sand under his feet was loose...

"Sister Irene...Sister Irene!"

In an instance, Irene watched as Kris started sinking into the light brown sand. Without any hesitation, Irene immediately ran over to Kris.

"It's quicksand. Kris, don't panic and try not to struggle. The more you struggle, the faster and deeper you will sink into the quicksand!" Irene quickly calmed Kris down. "Do not be afraid. I will definitely save you. Just try not to struggle so much."

"Am I going to die?"

Kris's body was gradually engulfed by the quicksand and in a few minutes, the quicksand had already reached his shoulders.

"No, you are not going to die. We are here with you. Just trust me, okay?" Irene continued reassuring Kris. She did not dare to move at all because she was afraid that Kris would sink deeper into the quicksand if she made a wrong move.

Irene had always seen scenes in movies where the quicksand would just engulf a person and that person would be gone in a matter of seconds.

The three of them had already walked almost an entire day and night without encountering any huge obstacles or quicksand. Little did they expect that they would encounter such a dangerous situation at the last minute when they were already so close to the finish line.

"Sister Irene, please save me..."

The quicksand eventually stopped moving. Fortunately for them, the vortex was not too deep and the quicksand had only engulfed Kris's body up to his shoulders.

"Kris, make sure that you do not lean forward, but tilt your head backwards instead. Try to kick your feet forward lightly, little by little and see if you can move out of the quicksand slowly."

Kris did exactly as Irene instructed him to but he had already sunken too deep and it was almost impossible for him to move his legs.

At this time, Kris started to panic even more.

"Don't worry. Keep calm." Irene slowly squatted down and tested the sand surrounding the area that Kris had fallen into. After confirming that the sand was not quicksand, she quickly reached her hand out to Kris. "Let's do this slowly. Don't worry even if you can only move your feet a little. Just take your time."

"Am I going to die?" Kris could no longer hold back his tears. "Sister Irene, I do not want to die here."

"Nonsense! Kris, you are not going to die here. Even if you are going to die, I am going to be right by your side," Irene replied as she held tightly onto Kris's right hand.

At this time, Jennie suddenly walked over to them and held tightly onto Kris's left hand. "And you have me too!"

Irene and Jennie exchanged glances with one another. At this time, there was no competition or hatred in their eyes. All they cared about right now was the safety of their own teammate.

"Take it slowly, Kris...just move your feet little by little. We will be right here by your side supporting you."

The three of them continued in this manner, with Irene and Jennie trying to pull Kris out of the quicksand slowly. The sun eventually rose and they were losing more water and moisture from their body. Irene quickly took whatever water they had left and fed it to Kris. He was more prone to losing moisture and salt from his body, and he could suffer from dehydration and heatstroke easily as he was trapped inside the sand. After that, Irene passed the last sip of water remaining in the bottle over to Jennie.