Chapter 17: Christmas 2017

Author's Notes: Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's patiently reading and leaving comments. This is a new experience for me and although I started writing because I thought it would be a good outlet for my imagination, I've grown to look forward to seeing people read and leaving their thoughts as they read this. I think many of us share the same love for this couple, happy to be in the presence of so many like-minded people :)

I love Christmas season myself and wanted to also mark how our leads spent their Christmas and hopefully future ones as we progress.

Christmas 2017

VAST Agency Office

It's Christmas and Hyun Bin was alone in his office. He had officially broken up with Kang Sora back in November, just after his movie The Swindlers release. They had been drifting apart due to their busy work schedule and the romance had dissipated. He shook his head, they had probably lasted till November only because they didn't get to see each other before that. It may sound unbelievable to some people but they had mutually agreed to part as friends. He will always cheer for her career and happiness.

He had been attracted to her calmness and intelligence; they were similar in many ways. The first few dates had been full of anticipation of what they could become. They were happy and he was quick to acknowledge the relationship when they were spotted. They both didn't see why they had to hide from the public. Fate however, works in its mysterious way. Even without any major conflicts, they still parted ways, he mused. Was it really fate – they were just not meant for each other, or could the outcome be different if they had both worked harder on their relationship? He has never been one to lay the blame on fate but he's starting to feel like maybe he needs to give it more weight. 

Fate, he leaned back on his chair as he mused on its implications. A pair of smiling eyes flashed across his mind. Again. Now that he's starting on a clean slate, Ye-Jin has been increasingly on his mind. With the first part resolved, he knows he needs to start working on the second half of the equation. Hyun Bin smiled. She should be back in Seoul by now. I miss her. How nice to be able to say that.

Ye-Jin's Apartment

Ye-Jin's apartment was a scene of merriment. She had returned from Los Angeles two days ago, just in time to spend Christmas in Seoul. She's enjoying the last couple of weeks of her break before her new drama starts filming in January. It is her first drama in five years and she's having mixed feelings. Excited yet also a little nervous.

She had invited her team and their family over to celebrate Christmas. Her manager, assistants, make-up and styling team. She probably spent more time with these people than her own family. She baked the Christmas cake and supplied wine. Kim Oppa's wife was the main chef, dishing out one after another delicious recipes.

"Thanks Onni, I feel bad that you're doing all the cooking," Ye-Jin apologized.

"Silly girl, just make sure you finish everything on the table," Kim So Na laughed. Even though she was only 5 years older than Ye-Jin, she married young and it's not an understatement to say that she saw Ye-Jin grow up. Despite being a star, Ye-Jin has always been humble and considerate. She treated all of them like family and Kim So Na in turn viewed her as a younger sister. "Are you dating anyone? Your Oppa tells me there's no one. Don't just work, Ye-Jin, you have to get out and have some fun. You're pretty and meet so many handsome men, don't tell me none of them appeals to you?"

"Hahah, Onni, I was wondering when you will start on this topic. Oppa warned me I'm going to get an earful from you," Ye-Jin smiled. She wasn't the least offended. She knew they had her best interest at heart. "I want to date as well but Mr Right just hasn't shown up. What can I do?"

"He's not going to show up if you keep running." Kim Son Na grumbled. "How about Hyun Bin? I could tell your Oppa thought there was something different about the two of you."

Ye-Jin was surprised by her comment. "Really? What did Oppa say?"

"You know him, he's not one to say much but I could tell. Was there really something special?" Kim Son Na looked at Ye-Jin, eager now if this could be an opportunity for Ye-Jin.

Ye-Jin took a deep breath and thought carefully. "You know he has a girlfriend right?"

Kim Son Na looked critically at Ye-Jin, "Don't you read the news? They broke earlier this month. He's a free man."

Ye-Jin wasn't too fond of gossip in general and she was even more outdated since she had been on holiday. "I didn't know. He must be feeling upset now, during the holiday season and when he's busy no less," Ye-Jin mumbled to herself.

Kim Son Na studied Ye-Jin's expression, "I think I know what your Oppa means now. I don't know how Hyun Bin feels but I think you should give it some thought, Ye-Jin. Your facial expression is saying a lot now."

Ye-Jin was startled and tried to change the topic. "Everyone's waiting for the food Onni."

"You little minx, I'll let you off today but this is not the last on the topic" Kim Son Na warned.

"Yes, Onni," Ye-Jin laughed and carried another dish out.