Chapter 75: Side Stories - Preparation

Author's Notes: Putting in a chapter to give more details around most people's wish for our couple 😂 hope you enjoy it! Have a great week ahead!

Story 1: The Rings

Hyun Bin had been invited to a showcase for an exclusive Korean jewelry designer. One of his close friends was the organizer and he had accepted the invitation as a favor to his friend. Hyun Bin wasn't into jewelry and had thought he would drop by, greet people, take a quick tour of the exhibit and leave. He was wrong, this showcase would be some sort of a turning point for him.

He arrived with Dong Wan and gave his childhood friend, Si Won a firm hug when they met at the door. Si Won was his best buddy in middle school. They had studied together, gotten into trouble together and remained close friends through the years. Si Won owned an events management company and their paths also sometimes crossed at work.

Si Won introduced him to the principle designer, Song In Wook, a gentleman in his fifties. He was well-known as Korea's top jewelry designer and had won multiple awards and accolades worldwide. Hyun Bin toured around the showcase and was impressed with the designs. He was immediately struck by how they reminded him of Ye-Jin - simple, elegant, understated luxury.

A seed of thought planted in Hyun Bin's mind. The idea of proposing to Ye-Jin had been at the back of his mind for the last few months. Arranging for their parents to meet a week ago had been a subtle step in that direction. Even though it was not discussed formally in that meeting, in their culture, it was a given that the parents meeting was a prelude to a formal relationship.

With them being tied up with Crash Landing On You's filming, he had put proposing to Ye-Jin on the back-burner, accepting that he would probably have to wait until they finish the drama. He needed more time to find the perfect engagement ring. This was a once in a lifetime event and he didn't want it to be just another diamond ring. He wanted to find something special, something Ye-Jin would love. It looked like even fate was on his side. Song In Wook may just be the person he's looking for.

Hyun Bin continued to walk around the exhibit. With this new objective in mind, what was previously uninteresting to him was now fascinating. He studied each display intently and search for the write-ups in the introduction catalogue. He periodically nodded his head as he realized some of the subtle differences in design and their effect. He never realized there was so much to learn about jewelry.

Dong Wan followed a few steps behind Hyun Bin, an increasingly puzzled look on his face. What was his Hyung up to now? Dong Wan knew for a fact Hyun Bin had no interest in jewelry. Dong Wan could understand his Hyung had to pretend to have some interest so he doesn't show his uncultured self to the public but this was overboard. They have been going around these displays for the last forty-five minutes.

Dong Wan coughed lightly, moved closer to Hyun Bin and whispered, "Hyung, I think it's enough. No one will say that you are uncultured and have no appreciation for the arts. You can stop pretending and we can go."

Hyun Bin narrowed his eyes and glared at Dong Wan. "Firstly, I'm not pretending to be interested. I am interested. Secondly, don't think I'm like you when it comes to the Arts. Go and sit by the buffet table if you're bored. You can eat and drink while waiting." With that, Hyun Bin walked off to the next display, leaving behind a stunned Dong Wan. Hyun Bin smiled to himself, it was nice to get the last word for once.

Dong Wan stood by the buffet table, balancing a plate of sandwiches and a drink as he munched and observed Hyun Bin. His Hyung must be up to something. Hyun Bin continued circling the exhibits for another fifteen minutes before going over to talk to Si Won. As Si Won listened to whatever Hyun Bin was telling him, Dong Wan saw his expression of shock before it gave way to a wide smile. Si Won gave Hyun Bin a few pats on the back and shook his hand.