Chapter 36: Hyun Bin's Birthday Dinner - Meet the Family

The Birthday Present

Ever since Ye-Jin agreed to join Hyun Bin's family for dinner, she has been racking her brains over what she should bring as gifts.

She had asked Hyun Bin the next morning at her house, "What does your family like?"

He replied to her very seriously, "you don't need to bring anything. My mum is going to nag at me if you spend unnecessary money that day. You're the VVIP for the day. Can you imagine, she told me you were the best present I can bring! The dinner's an advance birthday celebration for me. Does it even make any sense that I need to bring a present!"

Ye-Jin burst out laughing. Grouchy Hyun Bin was adorable. She doesn't understand why Dong Wan would complain about him being grouchy.

"How can I not bring a present? That's just rude. You want me to leave a good impression on your family too right? Do they take tonics? Or maybe wine? Or flowers?" Ye-Jin asked.

Hyun Bin pretended to be hurt. "It's my birthday, shouldn't you ask me what I want?"

Ye-Jin blushed a little when she heard the question and Hyun Bin's sharp eyes picked up on it. Interesting, why would this question make her blush? He waited for her response.

"Strictly speaking it's not your actual birthday that day. I've already prepared your present. You'll get it on your actual birthday." Ye-Jin mumbled without looking at Hyun Bin.

He was intrigued. He has never seen Ye-Jin like this. She was shy to the point she couldn't even look at him. What could it be? She's already prepared it... should he badger her further for some clues? Better not, if she gets annoyed she may change her mind about giving it to him. But what could it be? He doesn't get excited easily but he's really looking forward to his birthday present this year.

Day of Dinner

It was THE day.

Ye-Jin had spent most of the week planning for today. After discussing with her stylist (yes, that's how seriously she's taking it), she had decided it was best to dress simply. She put on a black dress with lace trimmings - simple, sweet but formal enough. She had also kept her make-up to minimum, just some foundation for coverage, loose powder, mascara and lipstick. She tied her hair into a ponytail, neat and simple. She didn't want Hyun Bin's family to see her as Son Ye-Jin, the actress. In front of them, she's Son Eon-Jin, the girl who loves Kim Tae-Pyung.

Ye-Jin took a deep breath and smiled wryly. She can't remember the last time she was this nervous. She wasn't anywhere near this nervous even on award nights.

She looked at her watch, it was 6pm, Hyun Bin should be here soon. She carefully picked up her large bag of gifts for Hyun Bin's family and went to wait for him.

Hyun Bin pulled up in his car just as Ye-Jin arrived. He saw the large bag and quickly got out to take over. It was heavy even for him. He frowned slightly, she must have spent a lot of effort preparing the gifts.

"What did you get in the end? I thought you would take my suggestion to get a cake for everyone to enjoy. That would be an easy gift." Hyun Bin commented.

Ye-Jin glared at him as she slid into the passenger seat, not believing he thought she would take his lame suggestion seriously. Hyun Bin closed her door and got into the car. "It's not a gift if they eat it at the end!"

Hyun Bin shrugged. He wasn't going to argue, but in his opinion, anything you buy for someone else is a gift. "It looks like you bought the whole store though, what did you get?"

Ye-Jin beamed as she shared with Hyun Bin her achievements. "I got your mother a scarf - you said she likes accessories and a tea set for your dad - you mentioned he enjoys chinese tea art right. Accessories are my area of expertise," Ye-Jin grinned. "But I had to take recommendations for the tea set."