Chapter 59: CLOY - Filming in Taean

Filming ran like clockwork from the start. The cast got along well, the crew were professional and friendly, morale was high and they made good progress. Hyun Bin and Ye-Jin spent the first couple of days filming some of the scenes for the introduction clip. Once that was done, they filmed separately. Hyun Bin went to Taean which was about three hours away from Seoul. This was their location for the North Korean Village scenes. Ye-Jin, on the other hand, focused on Se-ri's paragliding scene which was really Ye-Jin being hung up and acting like she's paragliding, Se-ri's Seoul based glamorous scenes, etc.

They reunited in the second week, when Ye-Jin arrived in Taean. They would start to film Se-ri's stay in North Korea. It was a blast.

Filming at Taean

The set was impressively realistic. Ye-Jin was fascinated by the details, like the kimchi cellar in lieu of a refrigerator, the dirt roads and even the old fashion bath tub and cooking area. While she has not been to North Korea, this was very close to the image in her mind.

The production set had arranged for accommodations at a nearby guesthouse. Hyun Bin and Ye-Jin's filming schedules were intensive and they had decided to stay at the guesthouse instead of commuting to and fro Seoul.

They started filming the scenes when Ye-Jin first arrived at Ri Jeong-hyeok's house and met the four soldiers, Pyo Chi-su, Kim Ju-muk, Park Kwang-beom and Geum Eun-dong played by Yang Kyung-won, Yoo Su-bin, Lee Shin-young and Tang Joon-sang respectively.

The four actors were initially shy around Ye-Jin. She was even more beautiful in person! Hyun Bin had to stifle his laughter when he saw them literally tongue-tied the first day. Even the eldest Yang Kyung-won could barely look Ye-Jin in the eye.

Ye-Jin was somewhat puzzled by their quietness as Hyun Bin had told her how fun and boisterous they were. She had been looking forward to filming with them. It took them just half a day to warm up. Once they started filming, the four actors quickly realized that even though she's a star and considered a senior actress, Ye-Jin was friendly and full of laughter. She had no airs and had lots of ideas when filming. Their relationship off-screen was similar to on-screen and she made it easy for them to immerse in their roles.

The chemistry between Hyun Bin, Ye-Jin and the four actors were palpable and Director Lee was very pleased. He was sure the audience would come to love these characters who would grow to become a family in the drama.

Hyun Bin and Ye-Jin, on the other hand, were a bit of an enigma - again. The cast and crew quickly realized that there was something special about the two of them. Don't get them wrong, both were very professional on the set, serious and full of ideas during filming, friendly and engaging with everyone outside of filming. However, everyone could tell that they were close.

It was similar to the pink bubbles people saw during The Negotiation period, except the pink bubbles have now matured into warm honey. They exuded a comfortable type of closeness which in truth was more common between married couples, which they clearly were not. Once again, people were left scratching their heads, half the crew suspected they were already dating, the other half suspected they will start dating. Everyone made sure to give them plenty of space, afraid of affecting their rapport but everyone was observing them and secretly rooting for them to date.

Scene 1: Jeong-Hyeok barbecuing meat for Se-ri

This was one of the scenes hyun Bin and Ye-Jin had thought to include because Hyun Bin was good at barbecuing meats. Ye-Jin had laughingly told Writer Park that she would be amazed at his focus and precision. It would be a good way to show the audience how meticulous and structured Jeong-hyeok was.