Chapter 34: While We Were Apart

Author's Notes: Hope you enjoy this lighthearted chapter! Again, updates will be slower with the work week starting up again. Have a good week ahead. 😊

Story 1: Hyun Bin and his Omma

Before Hyun Bin left for Budapest, he handed over his beloved cactus to his mother for babysitting duties again. His mother was more than happy to help but couldn't resist asking him again where he got the cactus from. He laughed and again deflected the topic.

Today was the fourth day since Hyun Bin arrived in Budapest. He was on lunch break when he received a call from his mother. He frowned slightly, it was unusual for his mother to call him when he's on filming assignment. Did something happen at home? He quickly picked up the call.

"Omma," Hyun Bin. "Did something happen?"

"Tae Pyung, are you filming now?" Mrs Kim asked.

"No, I'm on lunch break," Hyun Bin replied.

"Good. I need to talk to you. I went to your office earlier today to pick up some documents. I was chatting with some of the staff and they mentioned Son Ye-Jin shi was there a few weeks ago." Mrs Kim said, sounding a little indignant and affronted.

Hyun Bin groaned to himself when he heard that, there really can be no secret in that office. Someone must have mentioned he's dating Ye-Jin. He's going to make sure he sends all of them for training on Personal Privacy when he returns to Korea.

"Omma," Hyun Bin quickly explained. "It's not that I didn't want to tell you. We're just starting out, it's too early to tell anyone. I don't want to unduly pressure Eon-Jin. I would have told you once we are ready."

There was dead silence on the phone. Hyun Bin started to feel an uncomfortable sense of foreboding.

After a minute of silence, Mrs Kim continued carefully, "They told me you filmed a movie with her and she was there for some meeting. She's one of my favorite actresses and I had wanted to ask why you didn't tell me. I would have gone to the office to meet her."

There was another minute of dead silence. Hyun Bin knocked himself on the head. Hard. Twice. He should just jump into the River Danube.

Another minute passed, Mrs Kim was obviously processing Hyun Bin's earlier statement. "You're dating Son Ye-Jin!" she shrieked. Hyun Bin winced and pulled the phone away from his ears. "That's wonderful Tae-Pyung! You should have told me earlier. You know I've been worrying about when you're going to settle down. Son Ye-Jin... Well done, my son. She'll be a lovely daughter-in-law. I always know you have good taste, just like me." Mrs Kim was beaming on the other side of the phone.

Hyun Bin gave himself another two hard knocks on the head. I'm an idiot.

"It's your birthday next month, you have to bring her home for dinner. That will be the perfect opportunity for her to meet the family. Oh, I'm so excited! I'm not going to talk to you anymore. You don't have to do anything Tae-Pyung. Just make sure you come home with Ye-Jin shi for your birthday. That's the best present." Mrs Kim hung up on her son, probably for the first time ever.

Dong Wan had gone to a nearby cafe to get coffee for them. He returned just in time to see Hyun Bin knock himself on the head. Hard. Twice.

Dong Wan has been well trained for the past one year and was no longer surprised by anything Hyun Bin did. Don't be mistaken, his Hyung is still charismatic and capable, caveat, as long as it doesn't involve Son Ye-Jin. He wondered what has happened now.

"Here, Hyung, your iced Americano," Dong Wan placed the drink in front of a gloomy Hyun Bin and took a sip of his own latte. "Did something happen?"