Part 140

Mars,
The gunship hovered over the mountains as the afternoon set in over this side of the planet making the shadows of the peaks begin to streak over the landscape. Shawn said nothing except holding onto the support bar above him, Vader stood nearby as did a squad of Death troopers. "Sir what if we find something out there?" Shawn asked as the pilot began descending toward a large canyon "then we will kill it, the Force never lies Mendes remember that, whatever lurks must be destroyed before it starts to become more ambitious" Vader replied. The ship touched down and the doors opened, the Death troopers jumped out first weapons raised saying who knew what to each other, their helmets scrambled up their speech so only other death troopers knew what was being said. They also were a bit taller than Shawn, he and Vader stepped off as the troopers still scanned the canyon. The captain headed over to Vader clicking a button on his helmet that made a deactivating sound.

"It's all clear my lord, shall we continue?" The captain asked his voice monotone and robotic, "at once, we will trek for eight miles if we find nothing we shall return, understood?" Vader said as the wind kicked up in the canyon making his cape swirl a little "yes my lord" the captain said nodding his head then reactivating the scrambler in his head saying more gibberish to the other troopers. "Do keep pace Mendes, I will not slow for you" Vader said as the troopers formed a perimeter around them as they began walking down the canyon. The only sounds were the wind,the grinding of their feet against sand on the smooth rocky ground and Vader's respirator that echoed off the canyon far and wide.

If not for the task at hand Shawn would've wandered off to take a look around, by the many ledges on the walls he knew Maarek would be heading up and down them until being ordered not to. Although it was deserted Shawn got the feeling they were being watched and kept looking over his shoulder nervously sensing something big assumed Vader did as well so he didn't raise the issue. It was quite a journey up and down the narrow canyon but Shawn pressed on even though he was beginning to tire after three miles.

The captain threw his hand up and they all stopped, two of the troopers went forward weapons raised. Shawn then heard the sound coming from the left and began moving toward it, he resisted it as best as he could but it drew him in toward the cliffside overlooking the desert. Suddenly a hand snatched his arm and threw him back, the jolt snapped Shawn out of his trance and then he tumbled on the ground as Vader grabbed him by the chin making him stand up then pushed him into the rocky wall which pressed into the back of Shawn's head "what're you doing?" Vader reprimanded "are you trying to kill yourself?". "No sir I heard that noise again" Shawn managed to say as Vader let go of his chin.

"Perhaps you should do better to not hear it Mendes" Vader said as the captain walked over "my lord, we've located a cave, our helmet scanners found torches in it". "Good work captain, come along Mendes" Vader said as Shawn warily followed rubbing the back of his head "I'm sorry sir" he spoke up, "it doesn't give me pleasure to discipline you Mendes, since you are my responsibility the Emperor would not be pleased should anything happen to you, so do not be coy or act impulsively" Vader said as they entered the cold dark cave with the troopers turning on lights illuminating the cave. Torches lined the wall still burning with some sort of writing in Greek under them "shall we press on my lord?" The captain asked, "continue captain" Vader said as they entered the cave.

Shawn sensed something was off and danger was close, he heard footsteps behind and looked back and saw nothing except for the three Death troopers in the rear. The cave then came to two separate branches and they all stopped, Shawn's eyes adjusted slightly to the dark but the helmet lights of the troopers carved out portions in the blackness in the caves with no torches. "Split up, if we find nothing rendezvous back here" Vader ordered,"yes my lord" the captain said as four of the troopers went down the right tunnel then followed Vader and Shawn down the left.