Part 195

AN: Play this at the end of the chapter, it'll have more effect
Imperial Palace

The Emperor didn't let Shawn leave his side for quite some time afterwards, not even for his next intriguing appointment. Shawn stood next to the throne with his arms crossed across his chest before the Emperors next guest arrived. The doors slid open and Governor Kaine walked in, immediately Shawn sensed that something important was about to be discussed. Kaine was just before the first set of steps when he stopped and bowed his head, "Your Highness" he said to the Emperor with much deference in his tone . "Ah, Governor Kaine what a pleasure this is" the Emperor greeted with a hint of amusement, "Tell me, does the illegitimate Vizsla say much about his group of pathetic pretenders?" He asked.

"No my Emperor, he still refuses to say anything other than he won't say tell us what we want" Kaine replied. "Even with the pressure of a mind probe to loosen his tongue?" The Emperor asked with much intrigue. "Yes sir" Kaine said with a simultaneous nod. "Hm" The Emperor said then turned his head towards Shawn a little, "do you find Vizslas defiance to be admirable, Mendes?". Shawn immediately figured out what the Emperor was wanting him to do, he wanted him to say that he admired Ran's ability to resist interrogation in order to make him look suspicious to Kaine, though he figured Kaine was already suspicious enough of him. "No, maybe if they tried harder then he'll break" he said, though it made him uncomfortable to say something that sounded so out of place, even if it was just a farce.

The Emperor regarded Shawn with a neutral expression though Shawn knew it was because he was trying to sense if he being sincere. "Yes I agree" he said while looking back at Kaine. "Though you did not request an audience to discuss one lowly criminal" the Emperor continued. "No sir" Kaine replied then glanced at Shawn for a second, "might we speak alone Your Highness?" He asked, "or does he have clearance?". "I'm afraid he doesn't" The Emperor said plainly then turned to Shawn a little, "you are dismissed". Shawn said nothing and walked away to the door but kept listening in a little. "My visit regards Director Krennic's project" Kaine said before the doors shut behind Shawn who let out a sigh of relief after being tensed up for three hours straight.

———
Shawn walked into the common room and saw nobody else was there surprisingly, since Mara hadn't mentioned anything about going anywhere. Though regardless he sat down on one of the couches and stared up out the window while contemplating what happened not even five hours earlier. He'd still not figured out how this girl whom he'd never seen met or seen before had reached out to him through the Force. While he was thinking about that Mara walked up and peered over his shoulder while smiling, "what're you doing?" She asked with a chuckle. Simply seeing her made Shawn smile and laugh back, "just thinking about stuff" he replied. "What kind of stuff?" Mara asked while hugging his head and looking out the window too. "About you" Shawn replied and laughed which made Mara laugh too, "oh now you're just being corny" she said softly.

Shawn was enjoying having her hug his head in the way she was, for whatever reason it made him forget about all the bad things from earlier, and better more he sensed it did the same to Mara in turn as well. "Do you wanna go anywhere? Do something?" Shawn asked while she sat down next to him and rested her head on his shoulder. "Well,  I was thinking we could just walk around the city for a while" Mara suggested. "Sure, whatever you want" Shawn said and Mara smiled while the sunlight made her face radiate like a field of blooming flowers.

******
They walked around the Federal District two times that evening, all the while Shawn held Mara's hand and watched the people mill by. A few of them had been Naval or ISB personnel but they had relatively minded their business and not disturbed Shawn and Mara. Though it seemed impossible not too long ago, for the first time in a while Shawn forgot about all the terrible things he had seen and done simply by having Mara around, to him it felt like she was a light walking a room of seemingly perpetual darkness and bringing both life and happiness into it. He actually felt happy and not gloomy, something he himself was surprised to have become somewhat accustomed to, though everyone back home would've been troubled by the disappearance of his normally enthusiastic and lively demeanor.