6 - Daniel Ricciardo

Requested by AnaOliveira003

Taglist
Garrixer_06 archivebooks miaweston424 jadnhossler925

6: "It's always been her, hasn't it?"

Yourself and your childhood best friend, Daniel may have grown up five minutes walk away from each other in Perth, but it was as the two of you started to develop feelings for each other, becoming the other's first crush, that reality hit you both, that being that you would never be able to be together because your dreams were taking you miles away from each other, Daniel moving to Europe to begin his racing career and you moving to LA to start your acting career. When the two of you became famous in your respective fields, many people thought it would be impossible for either of you to ever be single, but the truth was, yourself and Daniel had spent many of the past what was coming up to twenty years alone, neither one of you being able to move on from the other. However, in recent months, Daniel knew he needed to get himself together and at least try to move on from you, knowing that he would likely never see you in person again since you hadn't spoken a single word to each other in years and it was because of this that he had entered a new relationship, which he thought was going well until one particular Friday morning in the paddock made him realise more than ever that this other woman was nothing compared to you.

After entering the paddock that morning, Daniel took the woman's hand in his, entwining their fingers as he got into his racing headspace, the only area of his mind where he could escape from the thought of you. A broad smile spread across his lips as the pair were approaching the McLaren area of the paddock, Daniel letting out a soft sigh of relief under his breath that he was managing to focus on other things. However, that was only until he had reached the McLaren hospitality, where he looked up to see a giant billboard with your face on, letting people know that you were McLaren's special guest that weekend. As he seen the billboard, Daniel suddenly stopped dead in his tracks, gazing up at it in adoration with his mouth hanging slightly agape. He became fixated on your beauty and knew he could become lost in it for hours. You may not have been with him in person just yet, but the sight of your photo still made him feel as though you were the only two people in the world, that being until he was suddenly snapped out of his trance by his new girlfriend, who aggressively shook him by the shoulders to bring him back down to Earth.

"It's always been her, hasn't it?" She asked with sorrow, lowering her head because she couldn't bare the sight of you. "She's the reason why you've never been willing to share a bed with me, isn't she? She's the reason why you've been taking things so slow, why you never return my words when I tell you that I love you."

"I'm so sorry to say this, but I've tried to make things work with you. I've tried so hard for things to be different, but yes, Y/N is the reason," Daniel admitted softly, hating having to hurt this girl, but realising that was better than continuing to kid himself that there could ever be something as special between them as there was between the two of you. "I should have done this a long time ago, but I think it would be best to end things. I'd rather wallow alone about not being able to be with Y/N than do it with another woman when she's not the only one I've ever been able to see in my long-term future."

Daniel's now ex took a shaky deep breath as she nodded in agreement. As strong as her feelings were becoming with Daniel, she would rather be without him than beg him to continue their relationship when he would never be at his happiest if he agreed to it. As she walked away, making her way towards the exit of the paddock, Daniel's eyes followed her guiltily as he cursed under his breath, massively regretting the past few months because he hated the thought of someone being left heartbroken because of him. However, it was when he turned to go inside the hospitality that she was the furthest thing from his mind, Daniel's mouth hanging slightly agape at the sight of you standing in the doorway with your elbow propped up against the doorframe.

"You haven't been able to move on from me either?" You asked with relief, still feeling somewhat shy and awkward because of the many years which you had spent apart. "I'm so sorry for listening in on your breakup, but I couldn't help myself since my name was mentioned."

"Y/N!" Exclaimed Daniel joyfully, before rushing forward a few steps before not hesitating to fling his arms tightly around you once he had reached you.

You melted into the embrace, never wanting him to let you go ever again, your feelings suddenly becoming just as intense as they were when you were a teenager and it feeling as if the two of you had never left each other's side. You moved your head back slightly for the two of you to close the distance between your lips once you had, but it was when your lips were just starting to brush up against each other's that you quickly pulled away, you suddenly remembering just how much time you had spent apart.

"As much as I want this too, I think we should wait a while," you said with slight sadness, holding Daniel at arms length as you rushed your lips away from his own. "I know it doesn't feel like we've left each other, but there's so much of each other's lives we've missed out on. Before doing anything like that, or hopefully even finally getting together, we need to get to know each other again. We need to make sure we know each other just as well as we used to."

Daniel couldn't agre more with this, the two of you not rushing into things over the coming months, whilst being unable to wait to finally be together. Yourself and Daniel spent every second you were able together, laughing and joking together, but also having so much more serious conversations such as if you would be willing to give long distance a go this time around, but it turned out that you wouldn't have to, Daniel agreeing to move to LA with you in a heartbeat because of the love which he also had for the city. When you were finally together, everything was almost perfect, both of you only having one regret and that being that things didn't happen between you sooner and that you would have been more open to giving things a try rather than going through years of unnecessary heartbreak.