297 - Dan Ticktum

Requested by formulaeefx

Taglist
TheOnlyL1

297: "It feels so weird getting recognised in public."

It was when the start of your new boyfriend, Dan's new Formula E season was drawing nearer, that you realised how the two of you had gotten together at the perfect time. When he was still in F2, you were keeping your still very new relationship private, but now that it was public knowledge, you were pleased to be making your first public appearance together as a couple at the first FE race weekend of the season. This was because you expected that there would be far less media attention on the two of you, based off how you had always been a hugr F1 fan, but had never taken an interest in FE, only doing so now because you had to and you expected that there were many others who shared your opinions on the electric formula.

However, it was when you entered the paddock that Thursday morning ahead of first practice, that you realised how very wrong your predictions had been, your previously relaxed body now tensing up at the sight of many heads suddenly turning in the direction of yourself and Dan. You squeezed his hand tightly with worry as it felt like every single person around you was beginning to mutter.

"I'm so sorry. I should have better perpared you for this, but I promise you that everything's going to be fine," said Dan comfortingly, wrapping an arm around your shoulders, gazing down at you in adoration as the two of you continued on your way down the paddock towards his motorhome.

You let out a sigh of contentment as you leant against his side, now feeling comfortable to show Dan this small amount of discrete affection because it seemed as if everyone had now gotten used to the sight of you and either continued on their way or got back to the conversations they were previously in, circulating in their small groups once more. Your nerves further calmed once yourself and Dan had reached the NIO 333 area of the paddock, all of his team members seeming to be so warm and welcoming as they greeted you both, however, your nerves soon built once more as you realised that a fan with a paddock pass was rushing in your direction just as yourself and Dan were ready to turn into the garage.

"No way! It's Y/N! I don't believe it!" The girl in her early teens exclaimed with joy, being unable to contain her excitement. "Sorry, I just had to come and say hi! I think it's crazy how this time last month, I had no idea who you are, but now I know so much about you from seeing you on Dan's streams!"

You were just about to respond, being ready to tell her that it was nice to meet her too, but before you were able, she suddenly flounced off to a nearby group of girls who were the same age as her, yourself and Dan clearly being able to hear her bragging to them about being the one to talk to you despite you now being at a considerable distance from her.

"I told you she wouldn't think badly of me!" The girl exclaimed with satisfaction. "I mean, I didn't really give her chance to say anything, but she didn't seem to be mad or anything."

A large part of you was glad that you weren't given time to react because the whole situation felt surreal to you, you being left feeling confused as to how to feel, you being torn about whether to be appreciative that at least some people clearly liked you, or completely weirded out by the new attention.

"It feels so weird getting recognised in public," you whispered to Dan in amazement after you had been contemplating your feelings for a few moments. "Is that what I can expect from now on, or do you think I'll be left alone?"

"I get that the attention will be overwhelming for you, but just be thankful you've had no one come up to you and tell you you're a gold digging whore or whatever yet," replied Dan with slight annoyance in his voice, not directed at you, but rather at anyone who may hate on you.

That interaction certainly wasn't the first time you were recognised that day, you getting both positive comments said directly to you and you even hearing some megative ones being said about you behind your back, but as much as you found them upsetting at first, you knew that you were able to get through anything because Dan was continuously reminding you that he was by your side and that he wasn't going anywhere.