73 - Max Verstappen

Requested by madmaxstan

Taglist
Sargeants_Wife Garrixer_06 luminousmoonlight lbushey madmaxstan

Disclaimer
This was written before the start of the 2022 season

73: "Will you pretend to be my girlfriend?"

Walking into the paddock alongside your teammate and great friend, Max, you couldn't help but notice that he was looking awfully glum for someone who, along with their team, had been dominating the first few races of the season. His head was lowered as he would frequently let out small sighs under his breath whilst you would frequently glance at him sympathetically, knowing that even though he probably would never admit it, he desperately needed someone to talk to.

"Is everything alright?" You spoke up cautiously once the two of you were about to go into your respective motorhomes. "You've barely said a word to me today and i just thought you'd be coming into this race weekend feeling cheerful because of your form on track lately."

"Come in here," Max grumbled, you barely being able to hear the words which he had muttered under his breath as he nodded towards his motorhome.

You didn't hesitate to follow him inside, being willing to do whatever it took for Max's breathtaking smile, which you loved so much, to return. Once you had gently sat beside Max on his sofa after he had flung himself down, you wrapped an arm loosely around his shoulder whilst he let out a muffled growl of frustration into his hands which he had buried his face into.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" You asked softly, not wanting Max to feel pressured, but at the same time, only wanting to help him.

"Will you pretend to be my girlfriend?" Max then asked you out of nowhere, seeming to completely avoid your question, causing your mouth to hang slightly agape because of your enormous disbelief.

You were then plunged into an awkward silence as you had no idea to respond to this, having absolutely no idea where Max's words had come from.

"I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have randomly said that. It's a stupid idea," Max spoke up quickly, his heart sinking at your lack of a response, only being able to imagine what you now must think of him.

"We grew up together in karts, Max. You know I'd do anything for you, but I just don't understand why you'd want me to pretend to date you," you replied in bewilderment, causing Max to take a deep breath as he lifted his head out of his hands, still not being able to look at any part of your body, let alone make eye contact with you.

Silence then descended upon you once more as Max's heartrate started to quicken because of how growing embarrassment, you tightening your arm around him as the edges of your lips curled up into a small, comforting smile.

"I should have clearly explained how I'm feeling to you before asking you that, but you know what I'm like when it comes to talking about this sort of thing," said Max guiltily as he shuffled closer to you, leaning his arm up against your own. "I asked you that because of how ashamed I am, ashamed that I'm an F1 world champion who can't manage to get a girlfriend. I hate seeing the drivers who are taken with theirs, especially because of how my PR never shuts up about me finding someone, saying it would be a great opportunity for me to gain new fans. She suggested that I at least pretend to date someone and if I'm going to do that, then I want it to be with someone who I actually enjoy spending time with and someone who I know better than anyone."

Max gazed up at you hopefully with dilated pupils as you comprehended his words. You knew how crazy his idea was, but at the same time, you could also see how much it would mean to him because of how he would be under far less pressure from his PR.

"As I said, I'll do anything for you, but you do realise that there will be so much media attention. The fact that two teammates are dating would be such a huge story," you responded warningly, there being slight nervousness in your voice at the realisation that the same would apply to yourself. "But if you really want us to do this, then you know I'm here for you."

Mac flung his arms tightly around you as he let out a sigh of relief, the two of you clinging onto each other tightly and it happened to be just as you did, that Max's PR entered, ready to lecture him about his upcoming interviews.

"Well, look at this!" She said in amazement, causing both yourself and Max to rush to pull apart as you let out a gasp of surprise. "So Y/N is the mystery lady! I just knew that there was someone who you weren't telling me about!"

You let out a small gulp as you realised that there was no going back now, that yourself and Max would have to finish what you started in terms of your fake relationship. It was as you did, that Max took your hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze as he convincingly gazed down at you in adoration.

"Yes she is and I couldn't be happier," replied Max warmly as wide smiles spread across both of your lips.

After a brief discussion with Max PR, the two of you convincingly making up a story about how things started between you, the two of you followed her out of Max's motorhome hand in hand with your fingers entwined and it was as you did, that you realised you loved the feeling of his touch way too much, your heart fluttering at the feeling of his thumb lightly gliding over your knuckle, that being the moment when you realised you were going to love this far too much than you would ever be able to admit to Max.