45,59 - Max Verstappen

Requested by lethedarkin

Taglist
Sargeants_Wife Garrixer_06 luminousmoonlight lbushey madmaxstan

TRIGGER WARNING
Insecurity

45: "You're my biggest weakness, but you're also my greatest strength."

59: "I love it when it's just the two of us."

Walking out of the paddock with your fingers entwined with not only your teammate, but also your boyfriend, Max's that Saturday evening in Melbourne, may have been a strange, unique experience for you because it felt slightly more special with it being your home Grand Prix, but it also felt different because Australia was the only race weekend on the calendar where the fans could line up outside of the paddock to get autographs and photos even if they didn't have a paddock pass and just had a general admission ticket. Since you had only ever experienced what it was like to be a driver at an Australian Grand Prix once before, that being in your rookie season in 2019, this whole thing was quite overwhelming for you. At first, this was because of the roaring of the cheers which went alongside the hustling and bustling of the paddock, but after a while, you realised that not everything about this experience was positive. You soon realised that rather than cheering for you, one of their home heroes, they were all screaming for Max as his fans created a sea of orange as they barged to the front, pressing themselves up against the barrier to get as close to him as they were able. During this time, whilst Max was signing autographs and taking photos, you noticed that Ted Kravitz was nearby doing his quali Notebook for Sky Sports, this being when you felt as though you had very little support amongst the fans.

"I can see T-shirts from pretty much every team here," Ted told the camera optimistically, before turning to the fans, approaching a female fan, who was wearing a Red Bull T-shirt, who was whooping and cheering. "So, who are you here supporting this weekend? Max or Y-"

"Max!" The Australian fan eagerly interrupted, your heart sinking at the sound of her enthusiasm. "He's a babe, how could I not? Also, how could I support Y/N? I know she drives for my team, but she stole Max away from me! She's a whore whose just distracting Max. If Leclerc or any other driver wins the title this season, I'm blaming her for taking up too much space in Max's mind-"

This time, Ted interrupted the fan as he pulled the microphone back away from her face, before moving down the crowd of fans in the opposite direction to yourself and Max, being unable to hide the disgust and bewilderment on his face. After hearing the fan's words, it was almost impossible for you to force your smile to remain spreading across your lips, this especially being the case because like yourself, the girl sounded as though she was from Melbourne and you were beginning to doubt whether you were liked at all if even your home fans couldn't support you. It felt as if the fans were keeping Max occupied for hours, time dragging on before you were finally in his car as he drove you both back to the hotel.

"Are you alright, Y/N?" Max eventually asked you with concern after there had been an uncomfortable silence for a few moments whilst you were gloomily staring out of your window. "You haven't seemed yourself ever since Kravitz was speaking with that fangirl."

"It's just that I love it when it's just the two of us. I couldn't wait to get away from the crowds and spend some quality time with you," you responded warmly, there still being sadness in your tone as you attempted to dismiss the question.

"Are you alright, Y/N?" Max repeated, but much firmer this time because he hated knowing that something was wrong, but having no idea how he could try to help.

You let out a deflated sigh, before you turned your head to look at Max, who grabbed one of your hands, placing it beneath his on the gearstick once he noticed the tears which were lacing your eyes.

"I haven't been able to just push what happened to the back of my mind because as you know, that's not the first time this has happened," you replied with sorrow, before stopping for a moment and taking a shaky deep breath. "At the start of 2019, it seemed as if everyone was so happy that there was finally a female driver on the grid, but then when people found out that we're together, the female fans just completely turned on me and all the unnecessary hate I'm getting is just too much. It's not only that either. That girl made me worry that you think the same, that I'm too much of a distraction to you."

The edges of Max's lips curled up into a comforting smile as he glanced at you out of the corner of his eye for a second, before bringing all of his concentration back to the road ahead of him.

"You never need to worry about me thinking that, Y/N because yes, you're my biggest weakness, but you're also my greatest strength," responded Max affectionately as he gave your hand a reassuring squeeze, causing your heart to melt as you let out a small sigh of relief under your breath. "Of course I think about you in the car a lot more than I should, for instance I'll have the occasional moment where I'll wonder whether you're okay, whether you're safe, but in heated battles, I'm fully focused on the racing and the thought of you in the back of my mind, how proud I'd make you if I come out on top motivates me to push harder than I originally think I'm capable of."

Those words were exactly what you needed to hear for your focus to be pulled away from that memory, yourself and Max smiling broadly at each other during the rest of the journey because of how you were both now looking forward to spending some alone time together in your hotel room to unwind.