67 - Dennis Hauger

Requested by BellaShadow2

Taglist
Sargeants_Wife jadnhossler925

Disclaimer
This was written after Bahrain, meaning that at time of writing, there has only been one round of the season.

67: "You're the best teammate I've ever had."

Throughout your F2 season, you wanted nothing more than to be the number one driver at Prema, you wanted nothing more than to be able to prove to the world that you had the same potential as your teammate, Dennis, rather than being told to move out of the way for the Norwegian championship leader. However, in Abu Dhabi, when you thought that you would finally be allowed to win a race, rage took over you as you were just given the instructions to move out of Dennis' way once again.

"Can you not just let me have this one victory for myself?" You snapped with fury to your engineer as your fingers curled even more tightly around your steering wheel. "I should have had so many more and even though Dennis is in P2, he's still in the championship lead."

"Yes, we're aware of that, Y/N, but Pourchaire is rapidly approaching him in P3 and if  Dennis is overtaken, that could very well be championship over as we're running out of laps," replied your engineer in his usual emotionless tone.

Since you knew it could be your last race with the team since your contract had not yet been renewed, you almost refused their orders because of how much like a failure you knew you were going to feel to leave Prema without a race win, but just as your lips were about to part, it took you all of your emotional strength to slow down, pulling over to the left slightly to allow Dennis to overtake you.

"This is for my partner and his F1 future, not for you," you spoke up bitterly as you slammed your foot down on the accelerator, feeling as though you needed to massively slow yourself down in order to not only stop yourself from re-overtaking Dennis, but also to defend from Theo behind and to prevent him from getting anywhere near Dennis.

Your anger continued to bubble over the final few laps of the race, it hurting you to see Dennis once again crossing the line in P1 ahead of you when you knew that you would be well ahead if you weren't continuously holding yourself back. However, it was once you had pulled up in front of the number one and number two signs in parc ferme respectively, that you finally overflowed with joy for him at the sight of him dashing towards you in celebration. Once Dennis had reached you, he flung his arms tightly around you as he lifted you out of your car, twirling you around in his arms before he placed you onto the ground, holding you by the shoulders with one hand once he had as he removed his helmet and balaclava with the other.

"Thank you so much, babe! You've got no idea how much that meant to me! You're the best teammate I've ever had!" Exclaimed Dennis with elation as he flung his arms tightly around you, pressing your body as closely to his own as he was able.

However, once Dennis held you at arms length moments later, his eyes widened with surprise as he came to a sudden realisation, his face flooding with guilt as his smile massively narrowed.

"You didn't feel pressured to let me through to help me to secure my future in F1, did you?" Dennis asked with worry, taking your hand in his to stop you heading towards your roaring team. "Yes, Red Bull had said that I would only be guaranteed a seat at Alpha Tauri if I win the title, but that's not your responsibility. That pressure shouldn't be put on you."

"A lot of strain has been put on our relationship this season because of the arguments we've got into about the team treating you more favourably, but for a split second in the car, I realised that I was wrong to resent you for that because you're not in control of the team's decisions," you began comfortingly as you leant into your ear to directly answer Dennis' question. "So yes, I did let you through so you would get into F1, but I also done that for my own benefit too because you've got no idea what the thought of you being in F1 does to me..."

Dennis then rushed to clear his throat because he knew exactly what those words were going to do to him if he didn't immediately get them out of his mind, before he darted towards your team, finally allowing them to surround him and pull him into a tight embrace, you being unable to see Dennis amongst your team members, who were toughly patting him on the back as they circulated him. You let out a few giggles under your breath because it was clear to you how your words caused Dennis to feel and once you had, he broke free of your team members and extended a hand out to you.

"You should be in here too, Y/N. I wouldn't have won this title if you hadn't made so many sacrifices for me," said Dennis with appreciation as he yanked you towards himself and the rest of the team. "Thank you so much for everything."