22,135,180,191 - Daniel Ricciardo

Requested by joeyxfriends

Taglist
Garrixer_06 archivebooks miaweston424 jadnhossler925

TRIGGER WARNING
Mentions of abuse, alcohol addiction and depression

22: "You don't always have to be so strong. You don't have to feel afraid to tell me you're not okay. You don't have to be afraid to cry."

135: "You're so much more effective than these stupid antidepressants."

180: "I didn't know what kindness felt like until I met you."

191: "You kept that all this time?" 

Tears were streaming down your cheeks in the middle of that cold, bitter night as pouring rain surged down onto you and drenched you. You had just sunk down onto the soaking ground, burying your head into your knees as you wailed into them whilst being outside of your childhood home. On one hand, you were relieved to have been thrown out of there because of the abuse which you had suffered from your alcoholic parents throughout your life, that being the reason why you still lived with them because they had completely destroyed your confidence, meaning that you hadn't been able to put yourself out there and get to know people. However, on the other hand, you were still crushed at how your parents randomly threw you out, telling you that you were not only a disgrace, but dead to them because you had always clung onto a tiny amount of hope that they loved you deep down.

Amidst your shock, you had no idea what to do, where to go, but when you started to calm ever so slightly, you realised that you would always have a place at your lifelong best friend, Daniel's, Dan being the only one who was ever there and willing to talk to you at school. Suddenly springing to your feet, you sprinted as fast as your legs could carry you to Daniel's, you not daring to stop for a second despite how you were relentlessly gasping for breath. You didn't stop until you came to an abrupt halt in front of Daniel's door, you beginning to pound on it as you tried to rapidly blink your tears away because your parents had always very wrongly taught you that crying was a sign of weakness. At first when your pummelling woke him up, Daniel furiously rushed downstairs, but the second he opened the door to see you taking long, large sniffs in an attempt to prevent more tears from falling, his expression softened as he didn't hesitate to fling his arms tightly around you as he guided you inside without question.

"Y/N!" Daniel exclaimed in alarm as he rushed to remove his McLaren hoodie and wrap it around your shoulders. "You must be freezing!"

You couldn't stop your tears from streaming down your cheeks for any longer as you pulled your arms down into the sleeves of the hoodie, causing you to repeatedly apologise as Daniel clung to you tightly, pulling your head down onto his chest.

"You don't always have to be so strong. You don't have to feel afraid to tell me you're not okay. You don't have to be afraid to cry," said Daniel softly, his voice shaking slightly because of how much it broke his heart to see you in this state. "You know that I'd never rush you. You know that you never have to tell me anything you don't want to, but if you want to tell me what happened, I'm here."

The edges of your lips curled up into a small smile as you slowly lifted your head up, Daniel's sweet words reminding you that there was at least one good person in your life, that you had one way to get the tiniest bit of enjoyment out of life. It was because of how much you had always trusted him that you opened up to him, telling him everything that had happened and how you feared that you had no where to go because that night was the final straw. You knew you could never go back to your parents'.

"You've got nothing to worry about because you know that you've always got a home here," responded Daniel warmly, but with each and every word that left his lips his face hardened as it filled with fury because there was no one who Daniel despised more than your parents, especially after that night.

"Really?" You asked in amazement, this still catching you by surprise because even though you knew Daniel, it had always been impossible for you to expect kindness from people. "You've got no idea how grateful I am, Dan. I never knew what kindness felt like until I met you and I'll never be able to thank you enough for showing me that."

"You've got nothing to thank me for because you're the most important person in my life. I'd do anything for you," said Daniel with seriousness as he wrapped an arm around your shoulders, leading you into the living room.

The broadest smile which you had worn in a long time spread across your lips as the two of you sat on Daniel's sofa, you finally feeling like you had somewhere you belonged as Daniel's arm remained around your shoulders. The two of you descended into a blissful silence as you thought about how lucky you were to have each other, you only breaking them a short while later when your attention was turned to a framed photo which was on his mantlepiece. Your mouth hung slightly agape at the sight of it, you getting to your feet and making your way over to it in disbelief. You beamed in amazement as you took the edges of the frame into your hands, your eyes being fixated to the middle of the photo where there was a line of Sellotape connecting the two previously broken halves. The photo was a drawing of yourself and Daniel which you had drawn when you were a child, a drawing which your parents had ripped in half right in front of your eyes, telling you that Daniel would never care about you, but it was only now that you realised that Daniel had picked the two parts up off the ground and had kept them for what was coming up to thirty years.

"You kept that all this time?" You asked in amazement, Daniel nodding at you through the mirror above as he made his way over to you.

"Of course I did. How could I get rid of something so special?" Replied Daniel warmly, the two of you smiling fondly at the photo for a while, before returning to the sofa.

Once you had, Daniel began to worry because the thought came to him that some of the things he had said to you that night may have come across as flirtatious. The truth was, you had always been the love of Daniel's life, but he never wanted to reveal this to you because with everything that was going on in your life, he didn't know when the appropriate moment was going to come along. As these thoughts were swirling around in his mind, you descended into silence once more, you being the one to break it once again.

"You're so much more effective than these stupid antidepressants," you said contently as you were once again thinking about how much you appreciated having Daniel in your life. "You're the only thing in life that makes me feel better."

Daniel simply tightened his arms around you and held you as closely as he was able because he wasn't sure how to verbally respond to that, but after a few moments he reassured you that he would always be there for you no matter what, you being completely oblivious to how Daniel was thinking about how he wanted nothing more than to be with you and how he wanted to confess his love for you the second he felt the time was right.