148 - Dennis Hauger

Requested by Nerea8291

Taglist
Sargeants_Wife jadnhossler925

148: "We first fell in love as kids and didn't know what it was. I'm not making the same mistake and letting you go again."

So far having nothing else better to do that day, you were snuggled up in bed as you scrolled through your phone, feeling very comfortable and content. However, the blissful silence which you had descended into was soon interrupted when you heard something being posted through your letterbox, causing you to let out a groan of frustration because that was never anything good, it either being useless takeaway advertising leaflets or letters about your bills. However, it was when you had dragged your feet downstairs and pulled the letter out of the letterbox, that your eyes widened in surprise at the sight of a red envelope which was covered in tiny, white hearts. At first, the edges of your lips curled up into a small smile because you usually hated Valentine's Day, which was in two days, but this card briefly made you think that someone could actually be into you, your struggles to get into a relationship being what made you hate the day so much. However, your heart soon sank because you thought that it would likely be a prank because you couldn't think of any guys who knew your address, except one, that being your best friend, Dennis, who was your first teenage love and things may have fizzled out between you both because of how young you were as well as your lack of understanding of romantic relationships, but because of how close you had been throughout the entirety of your lives, it didn't impact your friendship, the two of you going back to being best friends as always.

After throwing yourself back onto your sofa, you didn't hesitate to tear open the envelop, becoming desperate to know who sent you this Valentines card. You were unable to prevent your heart from melting when you opened it and read:

To Y/N

Roses are red

violets are blue

This Valentine's Day

I'm thinking of you

However, you let out a sigh of frustration when you read that this mystery person had signed off with 'Love ?'. You tried your best to think of who this could possibly be because apart from Dennis, you didn't know any guys. No one paid you any attention, but despite the pre written line in the card saying 'I love you to the moon and back. Happy Valentine's Day', you refused to allow yourself to feel excited about this as you felt even more strongly that this was some sort of prank. Being eager to get to the bottom of this, after reading the card several times, you didn't hesitate to grab your phone out of your dressing gown pocket and call Dennis, who always provided you with great advice.

"Den, I really need your thoughts on something," you spoke up urgently before he was able to speak himself after he had answered within a matter of seconds. "A crazy thing has just happened to me. You're not going to believe it, but I've actually got a Valentine's Day card and-"

You were unable to prevent your joy from bubbling to the surface as you began to speak, but as you did, Dennis cut you off by bursting into a fit of laughter, which you could clearly tell was forced.

"No way! You haven't!" He replied with disbelief, trying his best to hide his disapproval, but sounding the furthest thing from impressed.

"I have. I called you because I can't think who could have possibly sent it," you responded with a small chuckle of amusement yourself. "It ends with them saying love question mark, leaving me so confused."

"I'm coming over so I can see it for myself because even though it should have happened sooner for you, it's a first," said Dennis with enthusiasm, before ending the call.

However, that tone was purely because of the adrenaline rush which he was getting, wanting to get to yours as quickly as possible because the truth was, he hated the thought of anyone else having feelings for you. You may have no longer been his, but that didn't stop him from hating the thought of you being with anyone else. Due to how close you lived to each other, Dennis burst through your front door minutes later, dashing towards you and not stopping until he had crashed down on your sofa from beside you. Before either of you could say anything, he let out a sigh of relief at the sight of the card you were holding because luckily for him, it looked very familiar to him and he knew exactly who had sent it.

"You've got no idea how relieved I am that you didn't get another card off someone else," said Dennis as he let out a massive sigh, before his cheeks flushed scarlet at the realisation of the words which he had allowed to slip out.

You clapped both of your hands tightly over your mouth at the sound of Dennis' words, you now realising that the card was from him, the person who you least expected it to be from because of how you had convinced yourself that unlike you, he didn't see there ever being a possibility of the two of you getting back together.

"You sent me the card?" You asked in amazement, an enormous smile spreading across your lips from ear to ear as you rushed to fling your arms tightly around the back of Dennis' neck.

"Yes I did. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you about my feelings in person, but I thought there was no way you would feel the same," began Dennis guiltily as he hung his head in shame, not seeming to realise that the only important thing to you was that you now knew how he felt. "I hope you don't hate me for making the card anonymous, but I couldn't face your rejection because we first fell in love as kids and didn't know what it was. I'm not making the same mistake and letting you go again."

Dennis' card was the sweetest thing anyone had done for you and instead of showing your approval verbally at first, you suddenly crashed your lips against his in a passionate kiss, this proving to be a very pleasant surprise for Dennis, who didn;t hesitate to deepen the kiss. You both let out a sigh of contentment as you smiled broadly into it, both of you beaming at each other as you held each other at arms length.

"You've got nothing to be sorry for because you've got no idea how long I've been waiting for something like this to happen. I never stopped loving you. I just agreed that it was best for us to end things so you would be happy and staying friends with you meant that you were at least still in my life," you replied warmly, before Dennis pulled you close to him once more, pulling your head down onto his chest.

"Even after sending the card, I was still convinced that I would never pluck up the courage to ask you this, but now I know you feel the same, can we give things another go between us?" Dennis asked you softly, there still being slight nervousness in his voice even though he was quietly confident about what your answer was going to be.

"There's nothing I want more," you replied lovingly as you gazed up at him in adoration whilst picking up the card which had been placed onto the coffee table beside you. "I'm never getting rid of this. From now on, I'm going to love Valentine's Day because of it. I intend for us to look at it together and think about these happy memories for many years to come."