228 - Daniel Ricciardo

Requested by AnaOliveira003

Taglist
Garrixer_06 archivebooks miaweston424 jadnhossler925

228: "You're supporting me through the most difficult time of my life and I don't know how I could ever repay you for that."

Now that he had recovered from COVID, your boyfriend, Daniel came into the Bahrain Grand Prix with a spring in his step, feeling optimistic for the weekend ahead. He may have had no running in Bahrain testing, but he was pleased at the thought of how much pace he expected his McLaren to have. However, his spirits were soon dashed once he had qualified in P18 and now that he had just finished the race in P14, after aggressively jumping out of his car, he charged to the back of his garagr with his helmet still on, walking straight past you, before sprinting towards his motorhome whiilst completely ignoring any of the team members who were calling his name. Knowing that this was completely unlike him, you sprinted after him as your felt a painful pang through your heart because you more than anyone wanted things to enormously improve for him this season.

Once he had barged into his motorhome, Daniel showed no signs of removing his helmet as he flung himself back onto the sofa, the slamming of the door still ringing in your ears as you sat down beside him, putting as must distance between you as possible because you knew he would be in no mood for you to be close to hin. An insufferable silence filled Daniel's motorhome as you waited for him to speak up, thinking that would be best for him to talk first, but he did so after only a couple of minutes.

"I can't believe this Y/N. I was so convinced that I was going to prove everyone wrong this season," said Daniel softly, his words barely escaping his lips because of the tears which had welled up in his eyes, threatening to trickle down his cheeks. "Finishing P14 was bad enough, but on top of that, I would have finished all the way down in P17 if it weren't for Max, Sergio and Pierre retiring."

Despite Daniel's best efforts to keep them hidden, you were still able to hear him sniffling under his breath a few times as you threaded your arm through his. You briefly rested your head in the crook of his neck, before Daniel finally plucked up the courage to remove his helmet and balaclava. Once he had, you were barely able to look at him as your eyes met his stained cheeks, Daniel running his fingers through his messy hair as he took a shaky deep breath.

"I know things couldn't get much worse, I know it doesn't help that our biggest rivals last season got a one-two, but just remember that this isn't going to be forever," you said comfortingly, the edges of his lips curling up into a small smile at the sound of your warm voice. "I know there's not going to be a quick fix for the issues, I know it's going to take time, but I believe in the team. I know we're going to be back to our old selves soon enough, if not even better."

Underestimating the impact which your words were going to have on Daniel, you struggled to stop yourself from raising your eyebrows with confusion at the sight of the enormous smile whuch had spread across Daniel's lips, but your own quickly followed because of how much his happiness lifted your own spirits.

"What?" You asked him with an affectionate chuckle, snuggling into him as you rested your head in the crook of his neck once more.

"You're supporting me through the most difficult time of my life and I don't know how I could ever repay you for that," responded Daniel lovingly as he took both of your hands in his, leaning his chin against the top of your head. "I'm smiling because you've reminded me just how lucky I am to have you because you always know what to say to make me feel better. I don't know what I would have done for the past seaosn without you.

"It's a good job you'll never find out what's that's going to be like," you replied sweetly as as you gave Daniel's hands a comforting squeeze.

Daniel's sorrow may not have completely disappeared as you left his motorhome since he knew he would need to face the team as well as the media, but he left feeling so much better than he did when he entered, you managing to make Daniel feel somewhat optmistic as you always did and managing to make him look forward to the race in Saudi Arabia in seven days, where he would be given the opportunity to turn thigns around.