619 - Dan Ticktum

Requested by tcr_lover

Taglist
TheOnlyL1

619: "I know we didn't have the best first impressions of each other in the debrief, but let's start again."

As a driver who had dominated in your junior career so far, as someone who had won F4 and then F3 in successive years, you were used to being the number one driver in a team. You were used to being the one who your team was centred around, but coming into the 2021 season, you knew that things were going to be very different because you were going to have, who you considered to be, your most talented teammate yet in F2 at Carlin, that being Dan Ticktum. The two of you may not currently know each other very well, but from what you could gather, Dan wasn't someone who would sit back and let you lead the team and because of how talented you knew he was, you worried that there would be some clashes between you, maybe even both on and off the track. It was for this reason why you were feeling slighly apprehensive going into your team's debrief that Friday morning, it not only being the Friday of the first race weekend of the season, but also the day which yourself and Dan would be properly introduced since during the off season, you had been at the factory on different days.

Walking into the meeting room, you took an almost silent deep breath, before the edges of your lips curled up into a small smile.However, this was one which faded almost immediately because you noticed that Dan was sitting opposite the door, his eyes scanning you up and down when he entered as his expression hardened. Once you sat opposite him, you instantly felt even more uncomfortable, you having no idea where to look as you began to anxiously fiddle with your fingers under the table.

"Before we start, I just want you to know, Y/N that I'm no one's number two. I'm not going to just sit back and let you take full control," said Dan sternly, causing your team principal, Trevor to close his lips as he was just about to start speaking for himself.

"If I'm the better driver, then I will have the control," you replied coldly, as you retuned Dan's icy glare.

In that moment, you may have had a tough, hard exterior, but inside, you couldn't help but feel slightly hurt. You may have expected that Dan would feel this way, but it stung hearing it out loud because of how it felt as if you had done something to make him dislike you before he had even gotten to know you. As the debrief continued, there were many moments when Dan would give you a little dig whilst trying to promote his own abilities and it was because of this, that you couldn't wait to get out of the meeting. Once it was finally over, you rushed to your feet and were the first one out of the door. You had just began to dart down the corridor, not wanting to deal with anyone and just be on your own, but once you heard muttering behind you, your name being mentioned, you rushed into a nearby small meeting room, pressing your ear to the door as Dan stopped in front of it to talk to his engineer, who had pulled him to the side to allow the rest of the team members to pass them in order for them to be able to have a private talk.

"I don't know what's going on between yourself and Y/N, I don't know if something went wrong between you in the past, but the two of you need to be working together, which means you need to keep your personal feelings inside and stop throwing discrete little insults at her," Dan's engineer said with a small sigh of frustration. "Do you have history? Have you ever had any disagreements in lower categories or anything? If you had, it would be good for me and the team to know so we can help you move past it."

"I've never really spoken to Y/N before and I know it might not seem like it, but I've got nothing against her, I'm just kinda intimidated by her," Dan admitted hesitantly, causing you to lightly cover your mouth with one of your hands to stop your chuckles of amusement from escaping. "I mean, how could I not be? From what I've seen of her from afar, she seems to be such a strong, independent woman and probably the most talented driver on the grid. Plus, she's bloody stunning. I felt my soft side wanting to show and I couldn't let that happen. I regret being so defensive, but my walls just went up."

"Aw, you've got a little crush," responded Dan's engineer teasingly, before he leant into his ear, but you still being able to hear his words. "Just try to go at least this race weekend without jumping into bed with her, alright?..."