649 - Max Verstappen

Requested by madmaxstan

Taglist
Sargeants_Wife Garrixer_06 luminousmoonlight lbushey madmaxstan

TRIGGER WARNING
Mentions of insecurity and anxiety

649: "Do you have any idea what it's like to hear you, the love of my life, crying into my chest, telling me you hate yourself when I feel the exact opposite?"

As the start of the 2022 season approached, your excitement was already building to watch the on track action from the back of your boyfriend, Max's Red Bull garage. However, just roughly two weeks before this was going to happen, your feelings completely changed. The two of you were chilling on Max's bed late that evening as you seemingly out of nowhere let out a deflated sigh as you turned off your phone, flinging it hopelessly down onto the mattress beside you. You scrunched your eyes tightly together as Max wrapped a comforting arm around your shoulders, hugging you into his side as you attempted, but failed miserably to prevent your first few tears from trickling down your cheeks.

"What's wrong?" Max asked you with slight surprise as he cupped your cheeks to turn your head to face him, delicately caressing your cheeks with his thumbs to dry away your tears as he did. "Is it something you've been reading on your phone? I mean, it's got to be, hasn't it? We've got so much to celebrate with not only the start of a new season, but also with my contract extension until the end of the 2028 season."

Max's words only caused your tears to fall even faster, your breathing becoming heavier as the anxious thoughts which you were experiencing were becoming even harder to get off your mind.

"At first, I thought both of those things were things to celebrate too, but then that changed after the posts I've been seeing about myself all day," you replied with sorrow, before letting out a shaky deep breath as you wrapped an arm tightly around Max's front, being desperate to feel his touch. "All I've been able to see on my timeline are people calling me a gold digger. We've only just recently told everyone about our relationship and people are assuming that I'm only with you because of the fifty million which you'll be earning each year with your new deal."

Max scooped you up into his arms as he helped you to get onto his lap, wanting to hold you as closely as possible when you were feeling so low. He became overcome with guilt in case his confusion as to why you were upset seemed insensitive, Max internally beating himself up for not figuring out what was bothering you sooner.

"These comments are really making me hate myself, Max," you continued, sniffling as you buried your head into the crook of Max's neck, who didn't have a care in the world about the damp spots which you were leaving. "They're making me think I'm doing something wrong, that even though I don't know how, that something's making me a bad person. I must be doing something wrong if so many people don't like me."

Max vigorously shook his head as he felt a sharp pain though his heart at the sound of those words. Hearing them made it almost impossible for him to maintain his tough, hardened expression because he felt tears of his own forming, but he managed to hold them back to be strong for you, Max pressing a long, lingering kiss to the top of your head before he responded verbally.

"Do you have any idea what it's like to hear you, the love of my life, crying into my chest, telling me you hate yourself when I feel the exact opposite?" Max asked you with sadness, there being bewilderment in his voice at how someone who he considered to be so perfect could possibly be feeling the way you were. "Never let anyone else make you feel as though you're a bad person. You've done absolutely nothing wrong. They're the bad people, who feel as though the only way they're going to get over their jealousy is to hurt you."

You allowed the edges of your lips to curl up into a small smile as you gazed at Max affectionately, those words being exactly what you needed to hear, it massively helping your mood that he continued to speak.

"You and I know that you're the furthest thing from a gold digger. You work hard too and you and I both know that it was a coincidence that the announcement about us and the announcement about my contract came so closely together."

As your smile broadened, you moved your head down onto Max's chest, but rather than for comfort, your affection was out of appreciation because Max had manage to lift your sprits as he always managed to do.

"I don't know what I'd do without you. You always know exactly what to say to make me feel better," you replied lovingly, broad smile spreading across Max's lips as you took one of your hands in his, entwining your fingers.

"That's because it's my job," said Max warmly as you tightened your arms around each other, your smile becoming just as wide as his own at the thought of how you were putting all of the negativity behind you.