118 - Max Verstappen

Requested by madmaxstan

Taglist
Sargeants_Wife Garrixer_06 luminousmoonlight lbushey madmaxstan

118: "How can so much love come from so much hate?"

TRIGGER WARNING
Mentions of a karting accident

Standing beside your older brother, Charles' kart, your five year old eyes lit up at the thought of how after months of begging, he was finally allowing you to have a go. As you were creeping down the pitlane and making your way out onto the track, you were unable to remember ever feeling this joyful before, the feeling of beginning to accelerate around the track being the greatest imaginable. Just like your brother, you seemed to be a complete natural, managing to compete with drivers who already had so much more experience than you. Everything seemed perfect and as if nothing could go wrong, but suddenly out of nowhere, an extremely aggressive driver rammed into the side of you as he was trying to overtake, sending you hurtling towards the barriers. Thankfully, you had slowed down significantly before your impact and weren't injured. You may have quickly shaken off the adrenaline that this had provided you with and were ready to get back into the kart, but Charles certainly wasn't willing to forgive this driver so easily, the boy being a driver who at the time, he had no idea he would be racing against in F1 in the future, that being future F1 world champion, Max Verstappen

It may have been common knowledge throughout the paddock that the two didn't get along, particularly when they were younger, but what no one else knew was the reason behind it, that Charles could never forgive Max as he was well aware that your accident could have ended very differently. Charles' hatred had transferred to you and it was because of how you had so many memories of Charles insulting Max, that you shared his feelings towards him, this being the reason why, along with Charles, you would always avoid Max in the paddock when you had made your own F1 debut.

Almost a year had passed since that day when your eyes suddenly snapped open that morning to the feeling of a soft kiss being placed on your lips, the edges of which curling up into a small smile at the sight of your now boyfriend, Max as your eyes began to gently flutter open.

"You're finally awake," Max mumbled hoarsely, using one of his hands to pull your head down onto his chest as he snaked his other arm around your waist.

"I was awake anyway, but I kept my eyes closed whilst I was thinking," you replied warmly as you turned to properly face Max after having previously been laying on your back. "I was actually thinking about our feelings towards each other when we were growing up and I'm so glad it did, but I was thinking how can so much love come from so much hate?"

Max's smile broadened as he lowered his head, before he pressed a long, lingering kiss to the top of your head as the same thoughts began to fill his mind too, Max thinking about how he may have strongly disliked you for many years, but how he wouldn't change any of that because if things were different in the past, you may not currently be where you are today.

"I could never imagined that I'd fall in love with the girl who would always cause me to be in such an awful mood whenever I'd lose against her," replied Max fondly, letting out a few warm chuckles as he relived the memories of punching many walls after he had lost to you. "But I'm now so thankful that the return of the driver's parade last season forced us to talk with us having no choice but to be such a short distance away from each other."

"I wouldn't change our past for the world," you replied affectionately as you gazed up at Max in adoration, causing him to beam at you because you were clearly sharing the thoughts which he was just experiencing. "I'll always remember the time when I started to realise that you were beginning to care for me. I'll always remember things going from being really awkward between us to you giving me warnings before the race, you even once letting it slip that you didn't know what you would do if something happened to me."

"At the time, I wished so badly that we could go back and forget that had ever happened, but now I'm so thankful it did because that lead to me finally asking you out after the race," responded Max lovingly as he attempted to hold you even more closely to him because of how this reminiscing caused him to overflow with affection. "Oh, and I still blame you for letting me lose that race. I still say it's all your fault because of how I couldn't get you out of my head, for once making me think about something else besides driving whilst I was in the car."

Yourself and Max delayed getting out of bed for as long as possible as you continued to share memories, the two of you going on to talk about how nervous you both were when telling Charles about your relationship, but the most memorable part of the conversation was Max's final words to you before you got out of bed in order to do your training for the day.

"If someone would have told me this time last year that I would have found my future Mrs. Verstappen by now, I wouldn't have believed them, but now I know she's laying right beside me."