591 - Daniel Ricciardo

Requested by Scotlynaurora

Taglist
Garrixer_06 archivebooks miaweston424 jadnhossler925

591: You are a junior driver, driving in an FP1 session for the driver's team.

Entering the McLaren garage that morning with a broad smile spread across your lips, you gazed around in awe as you tried to keep your face as straight as possible. You were well aware of the friendly, cheerful atmoshpere at McLaren, but that still didn't stop you from trying to narrow your smile with fears that you would be way too enthusiastic, but on second thought, who could blame you? You were about to participate in your first FP1 session for the team whose driver academy you were in, the team who you had always dreamed of driving for. As you made your way over to Daniel's car, which would be your own for the session, your cheeks turned a light shade of pink because you knew that you were unable to hide the glee in your expression. You may have wished that you would have been able to keep your joy inside in that moment, but you didn't realise just how noticable this was, but rather than seeing this as a negative, childish thing, Daniel was watching you from nearby as he beamed at you, the Australian considering your smile to be breathtaking and your joy to be infectious, Daniel only realising this now despite the countless conversations you had had back in Woking at the factory.

In the following few minutes leading up to you getting into your helmet and balaclava, many team members kindly greeted you, before wishing you luck, this including your teammate for the morning, Lando. However, it was just as you were lifting your first leg up to climb into your cockpit, that you found your heart sinking slightly at the realisation that Daniel hadn't so much as greeted you, let alone wished you luck, which you found to be extremely unlike him and as you were lowering yourself down, it became clear to you that you weren't the only one to notice this.

"You haven't said a word to Y/N all morning and that's unlike you," said Daniel's engineer, Tom in confusion a few metres away. "Aren't you going to wish her luck?"

Daniel's mouth hung slightly agape at Tom's words because they caught him off guard, Daniel not being ready to afmit to anyone that he was suddenly feeling so shy around you. Before he finally did respond after an awkward pause, he lowered his head as his cheeks flushed scarlet.

"I-It's not like she needs it, is it?" Stuttered Daniel softly, causing Tom to let out a few chuckles of amusement at the sound of Daniel sounding so nervous at the mention of your name. "I mean, we all know she's a future star at this team."

"Yeah, sure," muttered Tom lightheartedly in disbrlief under his breath as he walked away, not buying this in the slightest because he knew that if it was any other driver getting into that car, he would have wished them luck to be polite regardless of their ability.

As Daniel watched you leaving the garage and creeping down the pitlane minutes later, he started to feel thankful that he had to sit out this session, being somewhat glad that he wasn't driving because he had another opportunity to watch you. It was he started to, not giving you his full attention during your slow out lap, that he realised just the impact that you had on him, Daniel becoming slightly annoyed with himself with him inside as he was allowing someone who was just over ten years younger than him to make him feel so giddy about watching the session.

During the session, Daniel's eyes were fixated to the large screens around the garage, his eyes never once leaving you. An enormous smile was spread across his lips the entire rime and every time you would improve on your already amazing lap times, he would beam as he would let out an enthusiastic 'yes!' Under his breath, sometimes even doing this out loud, causing those around him to let out a few lighthearted giggles because until this particular day, it was only those around you who realised just how much chemistry there was between yourself and Daniel as well as just how much you cared for each other. You felt euphoric as you retuned to your garage, the best kind of tingles shooting throughout your entire body as you were about to jump out of your car, but as you did, you felt a pair of strong arms wrap around you, you looking up to see Daniel as he helped you back onto the ground.

"That was amazing, Y/N! If the team weren't convinced that you're their future before, then they sure will be now!" Daniel exclaimed cheerfully, his kind words causing you to excitedly fling your arms tightly around his neck.

As yourself and Daniel were about to pull away from your embrace, your body jolted as you suddenly realised that his lips were making their way towards your own, causing you to jump back.

"I;m so so-" began Daniel urgently, rushing his words as a painful pang shot through his heart, before you cut him off by starting to speak yourself.

"You've got nothing to apologise for. I want this too, but I only pulled away because are you sure you want to be with someone so much younger than you?" You asked consciously, lowering your voice to make sure that no team members would notice.

"I've been sure of this for a while now," replied Daniel assuredly, before he closed the distance between your lips once more.

You allowed his lips to gently land on your own this time, Daniel only giving you a gentle peck with the fears that those around you would notice. You may have only had a small taste of things to come in your future, but that didn't stop you from craving more. As wolf whistles filled the McLaren garage, yourself and Daniel forgot that anyone else was there, just focusing on each other as you smiled widely at each other, both of you thinking about the exact same thing, that being you couldn't wait to find out where things would go between you in the future.