57. Zac Efron | Useless

By : allthingsfangirl101 | Tumblr

I sat on our couch, my second glass of wine in hand. I found the remote and turned on the show I was recently binging. My eyes naturally fell on the picture Zac and I took our first weekend away together.

Zac and I started dating six months after we met. While he's the big, well-known actor, I'm an assistant to one of the biggest publishers in LA. When people found out about Zac and me, they were full of questions and opinionated comments.

Why would he be with her?
Why would a guy like him be into a girl like her?
She isn't famous.
She's not good enough for him.

Any time either one of us posted a picture of the two of us, the comments were full of hate and negativity. Zac always tried to protect me from his fans but the longer we were together, the worse they got.

"You're home early."

I looked up to see Zac closing the front door behind him. He turned around, his smile dropping when he saw the state I was in.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he put his bag down and jogged over to me. He sat next to me, one hand on my knee while the other arm was draped across the back of the couch behind me.

"Mr. Alvarez sent me home early," I said, looking down at my almost empty glass.

"Why?" Zac asked as he reached up and cupped my cheek in his hand, making me look up at him.

"I don't know," I said, my voice breaking. "It was just one thing after another today. The coffee wasn't hot enough, his lunch was two minutes late, he asked for one file but meant another..."

When my voice cracked again, Zac took the glass of wine out of my hand, put it on the table, and pulled me into his chest.

"I've never liked that guy," he whispered as he rubbed my arm. "He has done nothing but yell at you since your first day working for him. You don't deserve it. Please, Y/N, just quit. For you and for me. I can't sit back any longer and watch him treat you like shit."

I pulled out of his embrace, turning away from him. "I can't," I whispered.

"Y/N," he sighed. I stood up, instantly wrapping my arms around myself as I started pacing.

"We've talked about this, Zac," I said, my voice shaky. "I can't quit my job. I have to work."

"No, you don't," he chuckled. Zac stood up and blocked my pacing path. He reached forward and grabbed my hands, intertwining our fingers. "Y/N, we live together, we both have enough saved up, and we already share a bank account. You don't have to worry about rent or groceries. I can cover us until you find another job. Hell, you don't even have to work if you don't want to anymore."

"It's not that I don't want to work anymore," I sighed as I looked down at our hands. "It's just... He gets in my head. And then..."

Zac cut me off by leaning down and pressing a gentle kiss to my lips. I smiled weakly as I started to kiss him back. I broke the kiss, leaning my forehead against his.

"And then it's my job to get him out," Zac whispered as he rubbed his nose against mine. "He doesn't deserve you, babe."

"I mean..." I stuttered, taking a step back. "I'm basically Ryan Reynolds in The Proposal."

"Y/N," Zac laughed. He stopped laughing when I turned around, wrapping my arms around myself.

His breath got caught in his throat when he turned me around and instantly saw the tears in my eyes. "Babe?" He whispered as he took a step towards me.