77. Zac Efron | High School Musical Sweethearts

By : allthingsfangirl101 | Tumblr 

Zac and I have been neighbors since my family moved to California when I was six. He, his parents, and his brother came over and introduced themselves. From that day forward, Zac and I were inseparable. When he moved to LA to begin acting, I wasn't myself. My parents noticed it.

~•~

Mom drove me home from middle school, the radio softly playing. Usually, Zac's in the car and we're talking away. He left over the summer so I started eighth grade by myself.

"Y/N," Mom said gently. "How was your day, sweetie?"

"It was okay," I mumbled.

"Just okay?" She continued to push.

"I went to class, got homework, ate lunch, finished a book, went to more classes, and walked to your car," I listed off.

"Did you talk to anyone today?"

I shrugged, looking back out the window. I heard Mom sigh but she didn't say anything else. As soon as we got home, I went right upstairs. I numbly did my homework. A little while later, there was a soft knock on my door.

"Come in," I said, not looking up from my science textbook.

"Hey, lovebug."

I looked over my shoulder to see my dad walking in. He sat on the edge of my bed, rubbing his hands together—something he did when he was hesitating to say something.

"Just say it," I sighed, slowing turning around in my desk chair.

"You've been different, Y/N," he finally said. "I know Zac was your best friend and I know it was hard when he left. But..."

"But what?" I cut him off. In the six months since Zac left, this was not the first time my parents have politely told me to move on and make new friends.

"Zac was the one who brought me out of my shell. He was the one who made me feel safe. He was the only one I could be myself with. He was... He's my best friend."

My heart sank into my stomach as my voice broke. Dad sighed as he stood up and walked over to me. He pulled me to my feet and wrapped me in his arms.

"He's still your best friend," he whispered. "No matter how far away you are from each other."

"I don't want to be far from him anymore," I said under my breath.

"Maybe you don't have to be."

~•~

Later that night, Mom and Dad stayed up late to have a conversation. They then had a conversation with Zac's parents. By the next day, Mom and Dad made a deal with me.

If I keep my grades up, I can move to LA with Zac and live with him and his Mom and go to high school with Zac while he films. The other part of our deal is that I can stay in LA as long as my grades don't drop.

So, after eighth grade, I moved to LA with Zac. He pulled strings and got me into the high school for teenage actors. While he filmed, I studied. Every once in a while, I had to help Zac with his grades.

We graduated and decided to move into our own place. A couple of years later, Zac got a big part in a Disney movie as Troy Bolton in High School Musical. About a month before they were supposed to start rehearsals, the actor playing Gabriella got a "better" offer somewhere else and left.