97. Keanu Reeves | Family Matters More

By : fortheloveoffanfic | Tumblr

While she is pregnant, Y/n's uncle succumbs to cancer, and when, in fear, she confronts Keanu on smoking, things go awry. Can they fix things?
Warnings- Angst, pregnancy. ---

Dropping the phone to the dark veined, marble kitchen counter, Y/n sighed heavily, raking her nails through her hair. Tears prickled at her eyes, making them glassy and ready to overflow. It had been coming, her entire family knew it, but Y/n still couldn't believe the news she'd just heard from her mother; her uncle, who she'd grown up extremely close to, had died, from lung cancer. He'd been suffering for almost two years, aggressive chemo had only worked the first time, but when another cluster of tumors had shown up in a follow up PET scan, nothing had worked and her family's only option had been to make his last days comfortable. Unfortunately, his 'last days' had turned out to be thirteen grueling months.

Uncle Kenny had wilted away like flowers at the beginning of winter, growing duller as the days dragged on. The last time Y/n had seen him was months ago, she'd wanted to visit him at the hospice, but collectively, her parents and husband had urged her to keep their interactions restricted to over the phone, not wanting to stress her out too much. It had frustrated her at first, Uncle Kenny was her favorite uncle, always able to put a smile on her face when she was a kid and had taught her so much about the great outdoors while her parents were too busy climbing the corporate ladder to do it themselves. But though it was hard, eventually, Y/n had relented, but only after her uncle had personally requested that she stay away. That had come after she'd told him that she and Keanu were expecting. He loved her, and his unborn grand niece, which was why he couldn't risk something happening to Y/n or the baby because of added stress.

Hanging her head in her hands, Y/n tried to quell the stinging in her eyes, but her efforts were fruitless and before long, hot tears were falling freely, punctuated by soft sobs racking her body. It wasn't supposed to hurt that much, Y/n knew that it was inevitable, and it should have comforted her that he'd gone in his sleep, but really, it didn't. If only he hadn't been such an avid smoker, then maybe he'd still be there, hopefully to teach her daughter the things he'd taught Y/n when she was a kid.

"So, babe I-" Keanu cut himself off as he entered the kitchen. Worry immediately swelling in his chest at the sight of his wife in tears, "Hey," he cooed, immediately going over to where she sat at the counter, pulling her flush against his chest and smoothing his hands over her hair, "Shh," he kissed the top of her head, "What's wrong baby?"

It took a while, Y/n was blubbering so intense that she couldn't speak, but after about fifteen minutes spent in Keanu's comforting embrace, she settled enough to form words, "He's gone Ke," she sobbed, burrowing into his chest, "Uncle Kenny's gone."

Right there, Keanu's heart broke for her. Of course, everyone knew that the moment was coming, but still his wife had lost someone dear to her, and in such a painful way. All he wanted was to take the hurt away, she was supposed to be enjoying the path to motherhood, not breaking down because she'd lost a loved one. "I'm sorry baby," Keanu kissed the top of Y/n's head again. "Come on," he eventually urged her off of the barstool, hugging her close as he led them to the living room, cuddling her as they sank onto the sofa. "Can I get you anything? Water or tea?" Even if he couldn't fix her heartbreak, Keanu could still take care of her, and their baby.

"No," she shook her head, staring forward blankly, her fingers absently tracing circles on her growing bump, too upset to notice the fluttering kicks against her stomach. Why couldn't he have just stuck around for three more months? If not to see her grow up, just to meet her, at least once.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Keanu probed, wishing that he could offer more than just a listening ear and a hug.

Y/n shook her head again, "Not really," her words were soft and broken, "Can we just sit here for a bit?"