75. Noah Centineo | Breaking Up Is Hard To Do

By : allthingsfangirl101 | Tumblr 

I sighed as I looked at my phone to see that I had been sitting in the restaurant at our usual table for over an hour. I also noticed there wasn't a single call or text warning me that he would be late. He said he had a meeting, but that was over an hour before he was supposed to be here. He swore he'd be done in time for dinner.

Just like I predicted, he wasn't.

I looked up, my cheeks burning when I saw the waitress who has stopped at my table every fifteen minutes smile sadly at me.

"Can I get you something else to drink?" She asked, gesturing towards my soda that was definitely flat by now. "Maybe something stronger?"

"No, thank you," I replied politely. "He isn't going to make it. Sorry, I took up a table." I slowly stood up, smoothing out my skirt. I tried to pay for the soda but she wouldn't take the money. I sent her a half-hearted smile as I left the restaurant.

The whole drive back to my apartment, tears threatened to spill. I knew that the second they did, everything I've felt over the past couple of months would come rushing out like a dam breaking.

Noah's career has taken off since To All The Boys I've Loved Before and the Fosters and, if I'm being completely honest, it's been hard on me. I love watching him work and blossom into something more. I just wish he wasn't gone all the time, he didn't come home late at night, and he didn't stand me up on dinner dates.

I pulled into the driveway, a shaky breath leaving my lips as I put my car in park. I felt as if my feet were made of lead as I walked up the short path. I unlocked the door, sighing when I expected to see anything other than lights off.

I headed straight upstairs and started getting ready for bed. I took my makeup off, pulled my hair into a messy bun, and slipped into a pair of leggings. I decided to spend the next few hours sitting on my bed, reading a book.

I didn't bother to look up when I heard the front door open a little over an hour later. I sank into the pillows as I heard him moving around downstairs. When I started to hear footsteps walk up the stairs, I held my breath waiting for him.

"Hey, baby."

I didn't look up when he walked in. I continued reading my book, or trying to, as he tossed his jacket near the closet. I felt him stop at the end of the bed, waiting for me to say hi back.

"Y/N?" He asked when I didn't say anything. "Everything okay?"

"You forgot," I said, not looking up from the book.

"Forgot what?" He asked slowly.

I looked up at him, not hiding the hurt look on my face. "Seriously?" I asked, my voice breaking. I shook my head and looked back down at my book.

"Y/N," he sighed. "What did I forget, babe? Did I forget to pick something up? Did I forget something at work? Did I forget..."

I put my book down, waiting to see if he would remember. I watched as his eyes widened. "Dinner," he said softly. I rolled my eyes as I got off the bed and walked to the bathroom.

"Y/N," he grabbed my arm to stop me. "I am so sorry."

"Of course you are," I sighed as I pulled my arm out of his hold and walked to the bathroom, slamming the door shut. I took longer than needed to finish getting ready for bed. When I was finally ready, I hesitated to walk out into the room.

When I did, Noah was pacing back and forth. He stopped and looked up when I opened the door. "Y/N," he said, sounding relieved. He quickly walked over, stopped in front of me and grabbed my hands in his. "I am so sorry I forgot about dinner. Were you waiting long?"