182. Tom Holland | Soulmates

By : hollandandi | Tumblr

"I THINK YOU PICKED UP MY COFFEE BY MISTAKE!"

summary: soulmates were pretty obvious in this day and age, there were no countdowns or visions anymore - your name just appeared on their skin, it was as easy as that. right?

is this tom or peter? this au is soulmate!tom, and the word count came to 2.2k. it's pretty fluffy, and the warnings are that there is some language, and that this is purely fictional

-----

When your parents were younger, things were a lot more complicated in different factors of life. Letters were used to communicate, all clothes and dish-washing had to be done by hand, and well, you never really knew who your soulmate was. You may have had a feeling, or a special connection with someone you could not quite put your finger on as to why; but you were never one-hundred-percent sure. So, science progressed - research was done, testing was regular, and finally, when a perfect dosage of Amortentia was given when the new generation were born, it meant everyone was now definitely sure.

You were yet to find the sign; and you were pretty confident you hadn't missed it sometime in your life already. It would be fairly hard to miss your name in block capitals on someone's forearm; especially since no-body wore long-sleeved shirts anymore, most always had their hoodie sleeves rolled up, and the fact that no-body's name was plastered on yours, were things that gave it away.

Wind was rushing through the trees dotted around the city centre, causing the occasional autumn leaf to depart from it's home, onto the concrete floor that lay below it. Most people wore scarves, gloves and insulated boots by October, but made sure to still wear short-sleeved shirts when the weather wasn't too unbearable. Today, you had chosen a sweater, jeans and the comfiest shoes you own though, knowing that the day ahead of you was going to be long, difficult, and well, long. Due to this knowledge, you had also decided it would be a good idea to grab a drink to-go before your shift at work; and you knew just the place to get it from. Picking up the pace that your feet followed, you began walking swiftly towards the large circular sign that hung tightly to the small building's wall, shoving your hands in your pocket to ensure you had remembered to put your card in there this morning. Taking a sigh of relief that you could feel the familiar hard plastic, you pushed your way past the heavy door and into the cinnamon-scented cafe you knew, and loved.

Taking in your surroundings for a second, you could feel the warmth radiating from different aspects of the room - the genuine smiles coming from friendship groups at the tables, the steam arising from the hard-working coffee machines, even from the hand-written signs plastered against the back-wall displaying today's specialties. A warm feeling you didn't recognise, however, beamed from a brunette standing quietly in the short queue before you - he was standing among-st a few friends, but they were talking and gossiping among-st themselves whilst the boy that caught your attention stared intently at the menu hanging on the wall. He wore black, skinny jeans, with a unfamiliar logo shirt and a chocolate coloured jacket; his hair was messy, like it had air-dried this morning and he had yet to style it or tame it in anyway. His hands were in back-pockets, and your eyes were glued to him for a little while - before his friends interrupted your gaze loudly.

"Dude! Tom! Roll your sleeves up - what if your soulmate walks in and you don't know about it?" The one teased, winking playfully and showing his bare arm proudly; the name 'Bethany' written carefully in capital letters just above his elbow joint. "I had given up too, my friend, but then she walked in - it was romantic as fuck." He grinned, before putting his arm back down to his side and looking back up to his friend to capture his response fully, but instead, another boy chimed in.