108. Henry Cavill | Happy Birthday Baby *

By : shellbilee | Tumblr

Pairing: Henry x Reader/you

Words: 4K

Warnings: fluff and smut!

-----

It was well past midnight by the time Henry finally made it home, the taxi flashing its headlights at him as he sprinted up the driveway in an effort to escape the pouring rain. He made it through the front door and closed it behind him with his foot, trying in vain to shake off the water from his near drenched clothes. He let out a sigh and ran his fingers through his wet hair, kicking off his shoes and shrugging off his damp jacket. Finally. Home.

It was just his luck that the torrential rain had begun the moment his plane had touched down, the fat, wet rain drops practically saturating him in the thirty seconds it had taken him to exit the plane and run across the tarmac. It was still pouring outside, the sound of the rain heavy and loud against the roof, a stark contrast to the dead silence of the house around him.

He made his way down the hallway and into the main living area only to be met by Kal, the furry hound excited though clearly still fuzzy with sleep as he greeted his master. "Hey bear" Henry whispered, bending down to ruffle his dog's enormous chest. God he'd missed his loyal hound. He'd been away for two weeks and although he'd been away for longer in the past, it still didn't make being apart from him any easier.

He stood up when Kal was satisfied with his welcome, smiling down at the bear before casting his eyes over to the kitchen. Two empty wine glasses and a full bottle of his favourite red sat on the marble bench, next to them a pizza box from his favourite Italian restaurant, Giuseppe's. He smiled, feeling his heart simultaneously swell and sink in his chest. You.

He knew that you'd put together a special night, all of his favourite things just for him, waiting for him at home to celebrate his 37th birthday. He'd wanted to come home so badly, counting the minutes until he'd get to walk through the door and scoop you into his arms, but it was like the more he thought about it, the more delays he was met with. Eventually he'd had to message you and say that he'd be home much later than anticipated, disappointment souring his tongue when you'd responded and reassured him that it was okay even though he knew it wasn't.

Still, he'd half smiled when he'd read your next message - telling him to get home safe and that you loved him, just like you always did. You didn't mind that he was missing the night that you'd planned just for him, instead only caring that he made it home in one piece. Henry loved that about you, how you were always so understanding, so forgiving, so accepting of the lifestyle that you'd been thrown into because of him.

He'd known that his work meant never being able to have 'normal' relationships and for years he'd felt the effects of that. Never finding anyone who truly understood it, never finding anyone who could really handle the sacrifices that came with dating him. He'd started to believe that he'd never find that one person - the one for him, his soul mate, the one that deep down everyone truly believed they'd one day find, eventually resigning himself to the idea that he'd be alone forever. That was, until, the day he'd met you.

You'd come into his life by chance and changed everything as he knew it, and it wasn't long before he was certain that he'd found his one. You. Never once had you complained when he'd missed dinners or date nights, when he'd said he'd be home at 7 but hadn't walked through the door until midnight, when you'd had to attend birthdays and family events by yourself because of last minute interruptions. Not once. You'd only ever smiled, reminded him that you'd loved him and made him promise to get home safely. Henry smiled. You.

He turned and moved to make his way upstairs, pausing momentarily when his gaze fell on the kitchen table. He felt the smile on his face grow before he could even think about it, moving towards the table and spying the homemade white iced cake that he knew without seeing the inside was his favourite red velvet. His eyes skimmed over the unlit candles and box of matches sitting beside it, coming to rest on a small piece of pink note paper tucked beneath the cake plate. He smiled as he reached for it, realising you'd left him a message, a tiny note left just for him scribbled in your perfectly neat handwriting.