74. Zac Efron | A Couple's Accident

By : allthingsfangirl101 | Tumblr 

Tonight was supposed to be a special night. It was mine and Zac's three-year wedding anniversary. We had already pushed our reservation back two hours and if Zac didn't come home soon, we'd be late and lose it altogether. I tried to be patient as I sat on our couch, failing to distract myself with some random reality show on tv as I waited for Zac to come home.

I let out a half-relieved, half-frustrated sigh as I heard the door swing open and slam shut. I didn't even bother to turn around as Zac ran upstairs. I could hear him running back and forth, rushing to get ready. Ten minutes later, Zac came running down the stairs.

"Sorry, babe," he said out of breath. As he continued to talk, I stood up and grabbed my purse. "Filming went way over and you know how terrible LA traffic can get. We still have time to get to the restaurant before we lose the reservation though. You're ready, right?"

"Yes," I said softly.

"Great," he sighed. "Let's go."

He clapped his hands, slightly rubbing them together. I sighed as I watched him do his "hurry up" gesture he subconsciously does. I walked up to him, pausing next to him.

"Happy anniversary, Zac," I said under my breath. I ignored his outstretched hand and headed out to the car.

* * * * *

We drove to the restaurant, the only sound between us was the radio. I stared out the window, aware of Zac continually glancing over at me.

"Y/N," he said, breaking the silence. "Look, I already said I was sorry. It was out of my control."

"I know," I said simply.

This was our regular routine. He'd come home late for dinner or whatever we had planned and I would play the part of the Understanding Wife. He'd give me the "it was out of my control" excuse and apologize.

That first apology would be the only one. Everything he said after that was defensive and dripping with accusations for everyone but him as he points out that he already apologized. He had a talent of explaining it in a way that if I didn't acknowledge that it wasn't his fault, I'd be the unreasonable one.

"Y/N," he tried to start again.

"Zac," I cut him off. "Can we please not do this? Let's just go to dinner and celebrate three years together."

"We should talk about this."

"Why?" I asked, not covering up my frustration. "It's the same conversation. You come home late. You blame the filming schedule, your director, and LA traffic. Then I forgive you and believe you when you say it's the last time. But we do the exact same thing the next night. I'm tired of this routine, Zac."

"What are you saying?" He asked accusingly. I looked over at him and sighed. He always did this too. Whenever I voiced my opinion, he made it seem like I was asking for a divorce.

"I'm not saying that," I sighed. "I never suggest that."

I turned away from him, hiding my tears as I stared out the window.

"I didn't mean it like that," he stuttered.

"Yes, you did," I said harshly. "You always think that just because I'm frustrated or angry or tired, I don't love you anymore. This isn't a damn movie, Zac. This is real life. People get hurt. People get disappointed. And people can only hear half-assed apologies so many times before those words turn into an insult."

Before he could respond, we pulled up to the restaurant and a teenage boy opened my door for me. I got out and walked to the hostess stand as Zac gave the valet his keys. When he got to the hostess stand, he didn't look at me.