You're The Enemy| Imagine

After running for so long, Leon and I barge ourselves through a fire exit, slamming the door behind us as the cold night air hits. The door thumps violently  from the undead and any other fucked up creatures that were chasing us.

"That was closer than I would have liked." Leon sighs, slumping against the door. I notice we're on a rooftop, a few buildings are in jumping distance if we do a run up.

I glance back at him, a pang shoots through my chest as I realise what this means. Shit, I should've just let the zombies get him, if I had ran faster I could have shut the door...

"You alright?" Leon asks with a concerned look on his face, he runs a hand through his hair before standing up with a grunt, he begins making his way over to me but I hold out a hand, stopping him just as he reaches me.

"Stop. I think we should part ways." I mumble, avoiding his blue eyes. I stare into the distance, seeing the small flickers of light coming from the soldiers waiting for us. For me.

"That's a terrible idea, we're gonna get through this. Together." Leon hopefully says, stepping forward yet again.

I shake my head, the guilt has been with me since I first met him, knowing I'm supposed to end his life even though he's a good person...I don't think I can do it.

"I'm not who you think I am." I confess, I can't help the words that spill from my lips as a blast of thunder rattles the night sky, seconds later rain begins to hammer down.

Leon frowns at me, I can see he's trying to figure out what I mean, especially since we've grown quite close within the last few days of surviving this hellish city together, I can imagine the puzzle he's trying to piece together.

"What do you mean? You're someone special I should know about?" He asks, crossing his arms as the rain drips down his hair, his arms.

I turn away, stepping closer to the edge of the rooftop. "No, I'm no-one," I whisper just so he can hear me, I wipe away the rain from my eyes, as well as the tears gathered there, "I was sent here by someone."

Immediately I notice Leon tenses up, his arms uncross as he puts his hand over his gun, ready to grab it if need be. I don't blame him, I'm glad he's not in denial. Not arguing with me or making this difficult.

"Who sent you?" He sternly asks, lifting his chin up. I huff a laugh, my lips tilt into a sarcastic smile.

"Come on Leon, you know I can't tell you that."

He raises his eyebrows, waiting for me to give him something. "I'm here to kill you." I say blankly.

His finger moves slightly lower, easing more towards his weapon.

Another crash of thunder fills the silence between us. "I'm still alive." He states, hinting at a question.

I nod, turning around to face him as I grab my knife. At the same time Leon points his gun at me, and we both know we've reached a stalemate.

"Why haven't you done it yet?" He asks.

I look away, staring at the door behind which we come through. It's not going to hold much longer and I know I need to make a decision.

"Because you're a good guy, and I don't want to kill you. Because you saved my life twice and it'd be a shitty way to repay you by killing you." I murmur.

Leon tilts his head as if in agreement. "Alright, so come with me and I'll make sure you're safe, they'll ask questions and I can't guarantee they'll be easy, but you can do better, you don't have to work for whoever has you on a leash."

I shake my head again, I step backwards towards the edge of the building, glancing at the nearby rooftop. I might be able to make it, if not...well I don't have to worry about hurting anyone else again.

"Don't!" Leon panics, his face full of anguish as he rushes towards me.

"I'm sorry, I can't." I cry as I throw my knife at Leon just as I turn and jump. For a second I feel weightless as the wind carries me, but then I land on the gravel and my legs and arms sting like crazy.

I reach up and peek over the edge, watching as Leon pulls my knife from his arm, I'm glad it didn't hit any vital organs, he'll live. Hopefully.

His eyes find mine for a second, the sadness of betrayal lingers on his face and stays in my mind even as I turn and run, rushing down the stairs into the darkness beyond.