If Anything Happens| Imagine

We're surrounded by zombies, most of our team is dead and even though we've succeeded in getting a sample of the virus, we still need to escape the facility.

Leon gently nudges me back, his arm protectively creating a barrier as he stands in front of me. He looks to the only other survivor in our team, I think his name is Russo, then his blue eyes meet mine.

"Take this and go with Russo, I'll buy you some time." Leon quickly begins, urgently pressing the purple vial into my hands. I shake my head, trying to give it back.

"No, we'll find a way, I'm not leaving you-" I begin worriedly, but Leon sighs and quickly presses his lips to mine, his face full of anguish as if he doesn't expect this plan to go well. Tears fill my eyes, but deep down I know I've got to do this, the world depends on it.

"Okay," I mumble, grabbing on to him and throwing my arms around him as the zombies close in rapidly, "I love you."

Leon gives me a small smile back, "I love you to honey," he turns to Russo who looks just as upset as I do, "if anything happens to her I'll make sure I return the favour." Leon says to him in warning, his eyes narrowed.

Russo nods once. "I'll protect her." Leon hesitates for a second, but then begins to back away as Russo grabs my arm, pulling me to the exit as Leon begins firing. Just as we pass through the doorway, I turn back and shout, my eyes surely deceiving me as I see the zombies surround Leon, he disappears into the crowd of them, and there are no more gunshots.

"No!" I scream, desperately trying to break out of Russo's hold to get to Leon, but he harshly tugs me back. I place my feet firmly on the ground, so Russo ends up picking me up as I kick and punch, sobbing more and more as the distance between Leon and I grows.

Three days later and the tears finally stop, I sit cross legged on the motel bed, staring at the blank screen of the TV as an empty bottle of wine sits beside me. It's been three days since Russo and I made it out alive, immediately heading to the checkpoint and handing over the sample, then we were took here to recover for a few days, we fly out tomorrow back home.

But I don't have a home anymore. My home was a person, a blue eyed man who told terrible jokes and always made me smile. My home was in his arms where he'd always let me nuzzle into him as he squeezed me, telling me how everything would be okay.

Nothing is okay now.

I sigh just as there's a knock at the door, probably Russo checking on me again, he's even started offering to let me stay with him, I think he's worried I'm going to do something stupid. I'm angry that he cares, I don't deserve it.

"Go away!" I shout, putting my head in my hands as another knock comes.

"Fuck off Russo!" I call out, huffing as the knock repeats.

"I told you I'm fine, why can't you just-" I begin as I head to the door and swing it open in anger, my sentence stops just like my heart as my eyes meet blue.

"No offence but you don't look fine." Leon murmurs, a relieved smile on his face, but I just stare.

And stare.

And stare.

"Y/N," Leon softly says, his smile falling as he steps forward, his arms wrap around me and I allow myself to fall, he catches me before I hit the ground, he scoops me up and heads for the bed, closing the door with his foot, "Fuck, I'm so sorry, I didn't think this through-" Leon mutters as my entire body shakes.

He stands and quickly grabs a bottle of water from the mini fridge, opening the cap for me as I take it from him, but my hands shake too much for me to sip so he takes it from me and helps me drink. My mouth still feels dry even after.

"Talk to me, say something, anything?" Leon desperately says, kneeling in front of me as I stare, his hands reach up and cup my cheeks, warming me up instantly.

"How, I saw you disappear?" I shakily whisper, my eyes burn but no tears come. Leon frowns as if confused, but then understanding crosses his face.

"I ducked under the legs, slid back the way we came and led them around, by the time I made it out of there you and Russo were gone, I stole one of the vans in the car park and drove to the checkpoint, after contacting Russo he sent a squad to come pick me up. I only got here an hour ago." Leon explains.

For some reason I feel angry. "You've been here an hour?!" I snap, Leon looks taken aback but nods, tilting his head.

"I had to eat and take a shower, I wasn't exactly in the best condition-" He begins, but I stand up, almost knocking Leon over, he stands too as I push him away.

"I thought you were dead and you decide to take a fucking shower-" I shout, but I break into a sob. Leon's face falls as he pulls me to his chest, I cling on to him as if he'll disappear again, his hand rubs my back as he steps back and pulls me onto the bed, with me on his lap as I dig my face into the crook of his neck.

"I'm sorry, I can't imagine what you went through," he softly murmurs, "but I'd do it again in a heartbeat, you're alive and that's all that matters."

"Not if it you're not here with me." I whisper, leaning back as Leon grabs my chin and kisses me long but softly.

"I'm here now, and I swear I'm never leaving you again, ever." He murmurs, peppering my face with gentle kisses.

I nod as a tiny smile tilts my lips, even in the darkest times Leon somehow cheers me up. "I'm never letting you go, so you honestly don't have much choice."

Leon chuckles as he holds me tighter to him, both of us just holding each other as we begin to recover.