Adopting Until Arrangements| Imagine

I close the book and sigh, looking down at the sleeping girl next to me, Sherry Birkin. Considering she isn't my biological daughter, it damn near feels like it. After the events of Raccoon City Sherry didn't have any family left to look after her, and the government weren't exactly quick to deal with her either, so I made arrangements to adopt her temporarily until something more permanent was in place.

My boyfriend Leon Kennedy wasn't exactly against the idea, he wanted to help however he could and felt sorry for the girl, but we're both so young so Leon obviously had some reservations. After a single ultimatum Leon chose to stick with me and Sherry, renting an apartment far away from the horrors that haunt us.

I smile and lean down to kiss Sherry's head, she nuzzles into the blankets more, her arm wrapped around a giant unicorn plushie Leon won her at a fair we went to last week. We've all been slowly trying to get back to normal, but normalcy seems so far away after what we've all been through. I've got Sherry to think about now, but once I know she's safe, I'm determined to go after Umbrella and take them down.

Carefully get up and turn off the bedroom light, leaving only the night light Sherry insisted stayed on during the dark hours. I close the door and make my way to living room, smiling as Leon lounges on the couch in his sweatpants and tight fitting blue tee. "What're we watching?" I ask Leon as I slump down. His arm wraps around my shoulders as he presses a kiss to the side of my head.

"Just some old movie. Want to put something else on?" He asks as I snuggle into him, my hand rests on his chest as I tuck my legs under me, my eyes already half closed.

"Nah, it's okay." I murmur. Leon leans his chin on my head as we both watch some cheesy movie, but soon enough I fall asleep.

A scream wakes me up. I sit up straight as my head swivels around, I remember where I am and who I'm with before rushing to stand up. Leon beside me follows, taking the lead as we quickly run to Sherry's room.

Leon reaches Sherry before me, he knees beside her bed and cups her tearful cheeks, her silent sobs break my heart as I sit on the bed opposite Leon, gently rubbing her back. Her attention is on Leon though, who comforts her in a fatherly way.

"It's alright, shhh it's okay, you're safe and sound, nothing is gonna get you now." He softly murmurs, wiping her tears and brushing her hair away from her face. Sherry nods and throws her arms around Leon, squeezing his neck as she buries her head into his neck.

Leon stiffens and even I'm shocked at her behaviour, she's always been closer to me rather than Leon, but lately I think that's shifting, especially because Leon's begun doting on her, I think he secretly likes the family experience.

"Thank you, I'm sorry I just had a nightmare." Sherry whispers, clutching Leon. I give Leon a small reassuring smile as his blue eyes find mine, a glimpse of panic in them. He takes a breath as he stands and scoops her up, then carries her out of the room. Frowning I follow, curious to know his approach. Leon gently sets Sherry on the kitchen counter and grabs a mug, he pours in some milk and puts it into the microwave, smiling at Sherry before the timer goes off. Once done he passes the mug to Sherry, she holds it with both hands.

"When I was your age my mom used to so the same, it always made me feel better." Leon explains to a confused Sherry. I lean against the counter next to her, stroking her hair as she sips on the warm milk.

We all stand in silence for a minute as Sherry drinks, once done I take the mug from her and put it into the sink as Leon helps Sherry down. "Back to bed or ten minutes on the couch?" He asks Sherry.

She points to the couch so Leon smiles and holds her hand, leading her to go sit down as I quickly go get a fuzzy blanket for her. When I come back Leon is midway through talking about some Disney movie to her, Sherry seems more calm now, as if she's almost forgotten all about the horrible nightmare. I sit beside Sherry so she's in the middle, then relax as she lies on my lap, her head on my thighs, I wrap the blanket over her as she watches the movie.

Leon gives me a small thumbs up to silently ask if I'm okay. I nod and tilt my head as if to ask the same thing, he looks down at Sherry who's already half asleep again, then he looks back up at me, his eyes full of love and happiness. He nods and leans over Sherry carefully to kiss me quick.

"You're the best parents ever." Sherry sleepily mumbles, letting out a yawn as her eyes close. My heart skips a beat, feeling warm and joyful.

An hour later I yawn too, ready to go back to sleep in an actual bed. Leon switches off the TV and stands, then leans down to scoop Sherry up blankets and all, then carries her to her bedroom and tucks her in, setting her favourite plushie next to her before stroking her hair once and coming over to where I lean against the doorframe.

"I think we're doing pretty good." Leon mumbles, wrapping an arm around my waist as we head to our bedroom. I nod as I climb into bed, Leon follows suit and pulls me into his chest.

"Me too considering, and I'm surprised you're a natural." I whisper, yawning.

"I guess I've always wanted a family, I just didn't expect it to be so soon." He replies, squeezing me closer as his fingers soothingly draw circles on my arm.

"Do you regret it?"

"Not a chance. I've never been happier." He quickly says without hesitation, and I know that I've truly got the best boyfriend ever.