Vaccine Vows| Imagine

Leon Kennedy is going to die.

That's the first thought that runs through my head as I watch as the zombie launches itself behind Leon and bites his shoulder, he grunts in pain and shoots the zombie he was tackling with, then spins around and punches the other. Its head swings to the side as Leon aims his gun and pulls the trigger, brain matter splatters all over him.

I sprint as fast as I can to him, my satchel feeling heavier than it did half an hour ago when it didn't have the very thing that could save Leon's life. The plan was for us to split up, it'd be quicker if we both looked for the vaccine since both labs were opposite each other and the facility was already swarmed with the undead and other Umbrella creations. I was the lucky one, I found the vaccine as well as a computer that had the exact instructions on how to recreate the cure to all of this, but I didn't have time to read it all.

Leon turns to me, a look of complete and utter shock in his eyes as I finally make it to him, immediately he grabs his shoulder and steps away from me, just as the self-destruct sequence begins. "You've gotta leave me, get out of here!" Leon frantically says, already he's looking pale, he stumbles backwards and catches himself on the wall, slowly his legs collapse and I manage to catch him before he falls.

He's too heavy, so I let him down slowly, internally I panic as blood gushes from his bite, his head lolls to the side as he grows weaker and weaker. I kneel in front of him, tearing at his police uniform to get to the wound, my eyes glance to the satchel, and Leon shakes his head.

"N-no, don't." He weakly says, his eyes pleading with me. I hesitate, if I do this the world could suffer, but if I don't...

There's no other option I can live with. I rip open the satchel and grab the vibrant purple vaccine, popping off the cap as Leon's breathing slows. "No..." Leon whispers, his eyes closing. Fuck, I jam the needle into the bite, pressing the syringe down as the vaccine makes its way into Leon's bloodstream. Leon lets out a final sound of pain before going quiet.

I sit back and wait, tears lining my eyes as the ground rumbles. Minutes pass but it feels like eternity, I grip Leon's cold hand in mine, staring and staring as I will him to come back to me.

His eyes open, he groans and moves, his eyes meet mine but they're not the same. He looks like...he hates me.

"Why did you do that? I don't know if I'll ever forgive you for this." He angrily says, forcing himself to stand. I go to help him as he almost collapses but he pushes me away, his brows knitted together as he grabs his gun and drags himself to the main elevator shaft. I follow, the weight of what I've done is heavy on my shoulders, but not as heavy as the betrayal I feel.

"I'd do it again." I whisper but he's already gone.

Leon waits for me, but ignores me as he presses the button to go up to the surface. His eyes never meet mine again, even as we get to safety outside of Raccoon City.

*********5 Years Later***********

I type away on my laptop until a faint noise captures my attention, I take out my headphones and listen again, only hearing the usual humming of my lab. I frown and stand up, but suddenly the noise comes again, this time closer.

Gunshots.

I immediately spring into action, locking the door and grabbing my own gun then begin packing up the most important things; my laptop and my journal.

I head for the door but gunshots sound from just outside, I panic, running to the main computer and wiping everything on there, now all my years worth of successful research for the cure of the zombie virus rests in my head, and some on my laptop, but not a single person will be able to decipher it aside from myself.