Stopping To Count| Imagine

AN: This imagine is based off of a scene from Death Island (which is an absolutely amazing movie, and Leon is perfect as usual!)  So beware of spoilers ahead!!!

-----------------------------------

I pull my knife from the cops head, stunned as to how he changed so quickly, he wasn't bit. Wasn't scratched. So how did he get infected? I shake my head and look around, grabbing my abandoned flashlight from the floor I switch it on and begin my journey to hopefully reunite with Chris and Claire at the surface. 

I wince at the moldy smell of the underground tunnel, but keep walking away. My footsteps echo around the stone walls, but I'm sure there's nothing down here. Until I see a shadow up ahead from some lights. I tuck away my flashlight and grab my knife, parting my feet I stealthily head to the figure, but the shadow disappears. I glance into the alcoves I pass, but they're just full of boxes and maintenance things, so I give up looking. 

All of a sudden the figure launches out from my side, I dodge a punch and throw my leg out to trip them, but they're too fast and swing again, I duck and bring my knife up but we're at a stalemate. 

"Leon?" I ask in surprise, recognising the handsome face. I'd know those blue eyes anywhere. 

"Y/N?" Leon replies with the same shock, we pull away and put our knives back, looking at each other with question. 

"What the hell are you doing here? I thought you'd quit all this?" Leon asks, gesturing a hand out. 

I shrug up a shoulder, "You know me, I can't seem to walk away from the fun." I joke, Leon huffs a smile but we're interrupted when a familiar looking monster rises from the water beside us. I fall backwards to avoid the claws, I've come to know these kinds of monsters as Lickers, they're long tongues swoop out to grab something and pull it into their sharp jaws. 

Leon kneels behind me, his hand outstretched on my shoulder for some ounce of comfort. We hold our breaths, being ad quiet as possible as it listens around, searching. I bite my lip as its tongue moves closer to me, inches away from my body, slowly sliding up towards my face. 

I don't breathe. Don't think. In the corner of my eye a box begins to fall so I quickly catch it, the tongue moves closer and I swear my life flashes before my eyes. Just as the Licker begins to back away, something rolls out of the box and hits the ground. 

All hell breaks loose. Leon pulls me back as we stand up and run, he pulls me out of the way as he grabs a gun and shoots. Once far enough he stops to aim properly. "You got a gun?" 

"I lost it." I say defeated, Leon smiles and reaches for a spare, sliding it with ease around his fingers as he passes me it. I mumble a thanks and begin shooting at the monster rapidly approaching us. We begin to back up slowly but still shoot, until more monsters emerge from out of nowhere. 

"Shit." I mumble, knowing we're outnumbered.  We both look at each other for a split second before turning to sprint, but a long tongue wraps around my ankle and pulls me to the ground. I land on my stomach with a thud, and turn onto my side as the Licker begins to drag me into its mouth. I shoot as fast a I can, Leon shoots too, hitting the shoulders of the monster as it squeals but doesn't give up. Fuck. 

Leon suddenly dives down and grabs my spare hand, but the monster ends up dragging him along with me. I aim for the tongue, cursing myself for not doing it before, then pull the trigger. The Licker lets go and Leon wastes no time hauling me up and pulling me as we sprint down the long tunnel. 

More monsterous shouts sound from behind us, and my momentary panic is replaced with frustration. "How many are there?!" I shout rhetorically. 

Leon huffs from beside me, "I ain't stopping to count!" 

I frown as we reach the end of the tunnel, only a smaller path remains to our left, but with the monsters approaching we won't be able to run. I look around for something to use, but Leon's already got a plan. He kicks something into the air and immediately grabs me, pulling me behind the wall just as he shoots. 

A massive explosion rocks the tunnel, his arms wrap around me as he sandwiches me to the wall, defending me from the debris and fire even though we're in the clear. 

A few moments later he pulls away, both of us panting heavily as we catch our breaths. I slump against the wall, my legs on the verge of collapse. "Zero." Leon says almost proud. 

I give him an odd look in question, the corners of his lips tilt into a smile as he playfully looks at me. "You wanted to know how many there were." 

I let out a small laugh, despite the fact we almost became monster food. Leon chuckles with me as we push away from the wall and reload our guns. "It's been to long, I've missed you." Leon murmurs, reaching out a hand as his knuckles graze my cheek. 

"Yeah," I agree as I lean into his touch, "I guess saving the world is a full time job." 

Leon doesn't hesitate to lean in and kiss me, pressing me to the wall as I rest my hand on his chest. It's brief but conveys our longing and admiration for each other. We've always had a 'right person wrong time' kind of thing going on, but maybe this time it can be different. 

"Think you'll have time time a vacation after this?" I ask, hinting at hopefully some time I could spend with Leon. 

Leon smirks and tilts his head, "Maybe," he smoothly replies, my lips turn down as I turn my back to him and begin walking, but Leon grabs my hand, "I think I can find time for you." 

I look into his eyes, and I just know that this time is different, that this timing is right.