Can't Follow Orders| Imagine

TW: Murder. (This one's a little dark so take caution.)
-------------------------------------------------

"Hurry up!" A voice shouts from outside, I quickly grab my jacket and rush outside into the pouring rain, noticing that all the other trainees are waiting for me with disapproving looks on their faces, even Leon, my only friend here, looks annoyed. Our leader takes us on a small slippery hike through the woods, until we enter a clearing where there are people lined up on their knees.

I furrow my brows but say nothing. "Each of you stand behind one." The leader says in a demanding voice, since day one of this training program I've hated him, but the way he stares daggers at me makes me hate him even more. I stand behind the person nearest to the end, still wondering what's going on. The leader passes the nearest recruit a gun, and points to the person in front of him.

My eyes widen, surely they don't mean-

Boom.

Without hesitation, the bullet hits its mark and the body falls. The other kneeling people tremble and cry, I think one even pees himself.

Shock rattles through me as each gunshot stains my mind, after the first two I can't bear to look, so I keep my eyes straight and clench my fists. Leon stiffens beside me, I can tell he's just as uncomfortable as I am with this, but we've both had enough punishment to know not to argue.

When it's Leon's turn, I expect him to flinch, to even throw the gun and shake his head, but instead he takes a small breath and shoots. My eyes widen as my hands shake even more, especially as the blood begins to pool around my foot.

"Your turn." The leader says, slipping the gun into my hand. I look down at it, the metal heavier than ever in my palm. Sure I've shot before, I'd like to think I'm second best next to Leon, but this...this is different. It's wrong.

"No." I whisper, the rain hammering heavier now as Leon tenses up beside me, his eyes flick to mine but I avoid them, I decide to stare up at our leader as I lift my chin in defiance.

"You've got one chance left. Shoot. Now." He growls, but I shake my head. Seconds later he snatches the gun from me and shoots the person in the neck, blood spurts as he gurgles clutching his neck as he writhes in pain. "You. Didn't. Do. It." The stranger smiles at me before taking his last breath.

My eyes fill with tears, but before I can process anything further strong arms shove me face first to the floor, right on top of the dead body.

"You're weak. You're never going to be a good agent and help those in need if you can't even follow orders." The leader angrily says, before stomping away back through the woods with the others in tow.

I stare at the floor, my hands covered in blood that I didn't even spill. "Here, use this." Leon softly says from behind me, passing me a scrap of fabric, I stare at it and shake my head, realising it's from one of the dead people's clothing. Leon sighs and pulls me up, but my shaky legs don't let me stand.

Leon catches me and helps me lean against a tree as I wrap my arms around it, trying to control my breathing. I refuse to cry, I don't want to seem weak, even to Leon.

"How could you do that? They were innocent people!" I shout, shoving Leon as he stumbles and runs a hand over his face.

"They weren't, they were terrible criminals who've done the worst things imaginable."

"So they deserved it?" I spit back, biting my lip to keep it from wobbling.

Leon stays quiet, then steps closer and wraps his arms around me tightly, as if he's keeping me held together. I don't hug back, but his warmth helps me ground myself. I allow myself to lean my head against his chest, just for a second.

"Promise me you'll never lose it." He mumbles.

I pull away and look up at him, "Lose what?" I whisper, forcing myself to stare into his eyes rather than glancing behind him.

"Your humanity, seems like the rest of us have already. You're still a good person, I think that's why I rely on you so much." Leon explains.

I don't have anything to say, so I just nod and turn to walk away, I glance behind me to see Leon staring down at the bodies, a look of remorse and regret on his face.