Losing Her PT 1| Imagine

Leon POV:

Sweat drips down my back as I mindlessly point and shoot at the approaching undead, I'm worried sick about Y/N but don't have time to turn and see how she's holding up. For a split second there's a break in the horde, I glance up and down the corridor, noticing the zombies as they finally smash through the windows.

"Leon!" My girlfriend shouts in warning. We can't take these all on, there's too many. I kick a zombie in the head and grab her arm, shooting the zombies in the head as I create a path to a nearby door, if my memory is right this should be a bathroom with a lock we can use, it could buy us time.

As soon as the door opens I shove her through and slam it shut behind me, shoving my weight against it as I lock it. Immediately zombies bang against the door, their groans fill the silence aside from our heavy breathing.

"We should be safe for now, we don't have long until they break in and-" I begin. My world suddenly goes into slow motion as YN turns around, holding out her arm which has a red oozing bite mark. This isn't real. It can't be happening. Not to her.

"I'm sorry Leon, there were too many and I couldn't-" She cries, I shake my head and open my arms, pulling her into my chest as I hold her warm body. She clings onto my clothes like a lifeline, and tears threaten to fill my eyes so I stare at the wall, focusing on my breathing. I can't breakdown now.

After some time she pulls away and slumps against the wall, bringing her knees to her chest. I spot the bite, noticing how it's already changing colour and spreading. She pulls her sleeve down and gives me a small smile. "You can still get out of here, there's a window up there that leads outside. You can leave before..." She goes quiet, both of us know what comes next but nobody wants to talk about it. I can't. I won't.

"I'm not going anywhere." I say, sitting next to her shoulder to shoulder, she shivers so I take her hands between mine and rub some heat into them, damn she's freezing.

Tears fall down her cheeks, I can feel my heart breaking. I should've been bit, not her. She deserves a life, to be happy and experience things. Maybe if I'm lucky it'll happen later, I could always open the door and stick my arm out-

"I know what you're thinking," She whispers, interrupting my racing thoughts, "and you can't think like that. The world needs Leon Kennedy, people need saving and I know you can help them. You've gotta be able to get through this, and you know you've got to kill me when the time comes. Promise me. Promise you'll survive."

I nod, no words come out so I just squeeze her hands. I should feel bad for lying, but I guess right now she needs to hear or see some form of hope. She sighs as she nods, before she passes me her gun.

"It's not like I'm gonna use it." She weakly laughs. I slowly take it from her, my fingers tremble as I slip it into my holster. I wrap my arm around her shoulders as she leans into me, I kiss her head and comfort her as she slowly gets sicker and sicker.

"I love you so much, thank you for the time we had together." I whisper as my voice breaks, her half lidded eyes blink at me one last time before her body slumps onto my lap.

It's a matter of minutes now.

I look down at her body, my shaking hands brush her hair away from her face as I kiss her forehead. I can't do this. I don't want to live in a world where she doesn't exist.

I grab her gun and point it at my head, my finger on the trigger...but I can't do it. The hope in her eyes replays on my mind, it was her final wish, for me to survive, and I can't think of a better punishment than to live without her, because I couldn't save her.

I can't save anyone.

Her eyes suddenly open but they're not the same. I gently push her away from me, her back hits the wall and it gives me time to jump up at the window. I balance on the ledge as I kick the glass, shattering it open. Her undead groans come towards me so with a final act of love I point the gun at her head and close my eyes, pulling the trigger as I jump. Just as my boots hit the ground I hear her body fall, and never get up again.

I look around, seeing zombies claw at the metal fence around the perimeter, I'm safe for now. But I've lost my strength and fall onto my knees as a blast of thunder fills the sky, seconds later rain hammers down as tears stream down my face. I let out a shout of anguish, grieving for my love as I throw the gun that killed her away angrily.

Time passes as I kneel on the ground, then eventually I stand up on shaky legs and walk forward.

I've got to survive. For her.