High Ground PT 1 | Imagine

I pace around the room, my boots click against the stone as I stare at the creepy decorations and symbols. I don't know how long I've been locked in this church, since I was kidnapped from my university campus it's been a whirlwind of chaos, being passed from one group to another, then being transported to the middle of nowhere, that appears to be some kind of fucked up cult that's obsessed with some form of plague.

I frown as I hear the door below me open, sneaking out of the room I don't have time to grab anything, at this point I'm desperate to get out of this building, even if it is a case of getting out of the frying pan and into the fire. I clench my fists as I try to keep my footsteps light, stealth has never been a strong point for me, I can barely manage to sneak downstairs at home and grab some midnight snacks without sounding like a hangry bear.

One man I've become familiar enters the church, he's grown used to my pleas and cowardice so he doesn't expect anything from me as he turns his back and closes the door. Too bad for him that I've apparently become a badass overnight, well at least I have in my head. I sneak to the top of the stairs, ducking behind the wall as the man begins to climb the stone stairs, grumbling under his breath as I begin to shake. No, no more running.

As soon as I hear him reach the top I dart out and throw a blind punch, by dumb luck he grunts as his head swings to the side. He looks at me with wide eyes for a split second before falling backwards down the steps, his arms flail around but he's already dropping. I smile to myself as he rolls down, but my joy is short lived as the church door opens again, this time I do a double take.

A handsome, scratch that, a fucking masterpiece of a man with blonde hair and blue eyes enters, immediately he pulls out a gun, aiming it at the cultist now lying on the floor near his feet. Masterpiece's eyes lift to mine in a mix of amusement and shock, I want to trust him, but this could all be a trap.

I turn heel and run, darting back down the corridor as his voice calls my name desperately. I want to stop, but-

A huge flicker of light shines from outside of the church, I freeze as I carefully step towards the window, the men downstairs long forgotten as I narrow my eyes, my nose presses against the window as I gasp. At least a dozen villagers are heading towards the building, all carrying various weapons and looking pretty deadly.

Rushed footsteps sound from behind me, I turn to see the blonde man slowly approaching me as if I'm some frightened deer. He holds his hands up in a surrender, exposing his muscles which I just happen to admire for a second. "My name is Leon Kennedy, I'm here on the president's orders."

I swallow, nodding. He's got weapons, and looks like he can use them, it'd be stupid not to accept his help considering all I can do is punch people down stairs, I can't guarantee I'll always have the higher ground. My inside joke brings a small smile to my face, and Leon must take it as a sign of friendliness rather than me cheering me up.

"There's people down there." I say, remembering the angry crowd below. Leon rushes to the window beside me, I flinch away, not used to normal physical contact, lately all I've experienced is grabbing and the occasional brush of hair away from my face by some curious cultists.

"We need to get out of here." Leon gruffly says, his eyes turn as he scans the room, but it's nothing I haven't done already. His eyes catch on something glinting in the light at the top of a wall, I furrow my brows stepping closer as Leon heads to it and leans down. "I'll give you a boost." He nods, gesturing for me to step onto his hands.

Usually I'd refuse, but the door bangs open downstairs and I'm forced into doing it. I use Leon's head to balance myself as huffs a laugh, I step onto his hand as he lifts me up. I grab out at the stone, pulling myself up into some kind of attic, there's a ladder dangling halfway off the edge, so I let it down for Leon.

He climbs up as I search the attic, there's nothing up here but suspiciously large cobwebs and odd trinkets, nothing I can use as a weapon. "Fuck, we're trapped." I mutter, seeing only an open window with a big drop.

Leon copies my earlier action, scanning the area as the noises downstairs become more prominent. "Can I have that?" I ask, pointing at Leon's gun.

He frowns and shakes his head, heading to the open window and sticking his head out. In the meantime the space where we came from is suddenly vacant, a man wielding a flaming torch grunts as he climbs up, in desperation once again I dart over to him, kicking him in the face as he falls down with a plonk.

Okay, maybe I will always have the higher ground...

"You're quite aggressive for someone who needs saving." Leon chuckles with a rueful smile, watching me with curiosity and something else.

I shrug suddenly feeling confident. "I seem to be doing fine without you."
I head to the window where Leon's staring down at the floor below. His blue eyes glance at me for a second, I open my mouth to shout but Leon's already launching himself out like some fucking superhero.

I let out a small sound and peek over the edge, seeing Leon already soaked from the rainfall, he looks up watching me. His arms open. "You've gotta jump, trust me."

I shake my head, my fingers dig into the stone as the noises below grow louder, it's a matter of time until they find me again. With a deep breath, I nod and swing my legs out of the window, my ass perched on the stone as I contemplate.

"I promise I've got you." Leon calls out. I nod, then close my eyes as I fall, strong arms catch me as I let out a breath of relief.

"Do you do this with all your damsels in distress?" I tease as Leon sets me on my feet. He sighs as I straighten my clothes, already I think he can tell this is going to be fun.

"Nope, I guess you're just special." He finally mumbles, leading me away from the church and towards an ominous looking graveyard.